Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jury duty

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    sucks

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's that about socks?!

brad cook

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I get a jury summons every year at the same time. It's not supposed to work like that but I am the victim of some sort of software gremlin. And, every year I get excused because I teach and my summons date is always right at midterms. I then request a reporting date of 12/23. No court books a jury two days before Christmas. I never have to appear. But I have to do this every year!

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Try a judicial system that doesn't have jury duty.

Sucks worse.

If I get called, I'll do my duty as a citizen of my country, and serve. Happily.

Wearing socks.

;)

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i got one a few days back! Couldnt figure it out! SAid the date that i am active on the front but on the back it says do not come to the court till you r called?? Oh well good luck getting ahold of me. I dont mind doing it,wouldnt mind the break from work!

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i do jury duty just for the money. been thinking about quiting my day job so i can turn pro.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a good gig if you can get it.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have an interview with the DA next week, wish me luck

:D

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I figure that since I would actually want to serve on jury duty I'll never get called. So far this plan has worked admirably. :meh: Many people I work with have been called and my wife has been called multiple times.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Did a six week murder trial plus a one week penalty-phase back in 2000... Very interesting to get that close to a case and see how everything worked.

I have to agree with Gard's opinion of the legal system. Sure, it ain't perfect, but consider the alternative...

-robert

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I wouldn't mind being on a murder trial, or any criminal case for that matter. I get the feeling though that most of the cases are car accidents and the people are suing for psychological damages. Something about that stuff rubs me the wrong way. Accidents are called "accidents" because that's what they are. I could have persued a medical case one time and chose not to for a lot of reasons.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :D

I've never been called for jd. I move too much.

brad cook

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Joe, I'm with you on the feeling about all of the frivolous lawsuits that clog up our courts. However, that's a part of the whole, can't throw the baby out with the bathwater, etc etc etc.

Besides, if you serve on a jury in that type of trial, you can have input on how it turns out. Remember, that to convict (or in the case of a monetary case award the plantiff) the jury verdict must be unanimous. Also, in award cases, the jury can adjust the amount of the award in some cases, so even if you think the person suing is right, but being an @$$ about it, insist on a lesser award. I've seen $1 awards for pain and suffering, and that was more than was deserved.

Try to find the positive in every situation! :)

14. I don't think I'd make a very attractive jurist. I love all the Law & Order and Court TV, Cold Case Files etc. shows.

But if ADA Casey Novak wanted, I'd be on her "jury" any day. ;)