Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Anyone here ever been on jury duty for a major crime? Murder? Grand theft? Others?

I was on a DUI one years back, and may been assigned to serve again this afternoon...I don't mind serving, I just hate being away from my students.

So, anyone have an interesting jury duty story? Remember, if you're on a trial right now, don't chime in: that would be illegal (right?).

2. The closest I came was 3 years ago. I live in a small rural community with only 25,000 in the whole county. I was called and was in the final 12 selected. I was looking at the neat clean cut defendant when the court clerk announced the case and his name. I couldn't believe the clean cut suited guy in front of me was the scumbag neighbor of my best friend. I'm sitting there thinking that there is nothing he could be accused of that I wouldn't vote to convict immediately, no trial needed. So, when the judge asked if anybody had connections with the defendant that might interfer with being impartial, I spoke up and said that I knew him and worked with him regularly (we work a lot of the fields and irrigation ditches together around here). The judge tried to persude me that I could disregard my personal involvement, but I wouldn't budge. I was tempted to tell her how I really felt about the guy, but I'm sure that would have gotten me a contempt of court citation for prejudicing the whole jury panel. So I just stuck to my story and left her thinking that I was a good buddy. I haven't seen him since the trial, never found out the outcome. My friend told me he left the county. Hope he never comes back.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've testified at a hunderd or two trails. Does that count? :D

4. NO!!!! Cheater. :p

5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Now, was that at the head of the trail, or did you walk down a ways before testifying?
    :p

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

LOL..My typing skills betray me again.

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That's okay: you could have been at a trill, right?

8. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    I have been called twice now.

First time was the potential to sit in a fellow accused of hitting a police officer while drunk (or whatever the legal term for that is)

The defense attorney was asking questions to the jurors. One of which was to raise our hands if we didn't drink.

I was among maybe 7 or so who raised their hands. He asked each one why. There were stories about getting beat by a drunk mate or parent, to even losing loved ones because of the drinking (and possibly driving)

He asked me why I didn't drink. I said, "To be honest with you, I'm underage." :eyebrow: :eek: :p :D I think I was 19 or 20 at the time. The whole courtroom, with the judge and other attorneys just cracked up. Later on, I was dismissed when I didn't answer a question how the defense attorney had thought I should have.

The other one was I believe for drugs or something that I can't remember. As we were being briefed about the case, someone came into the court room and sat down that I recognized. I managed to ask her why she was here and it turned out that it was her son who was on trial. I explained to the judge the potential conflict of interest and he said I was dismissed.

It's an interesting process. Pretty cool.

JB

9. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I haven't, but my mom was called up for a murder trial. This was in a town 10 miles away that has a population of maybe 5,000. Someone stole a cop's gun and escaped from his car and killed two people. Needless to say, he was found guilty. The cop got to keep his job because if the decided to sue, the town couldn't afford it. Talk about a "can of worms" topic.

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yeah it is. I can understand why people don't want to miss work when their employers won't pay. Fortunately, I'm a teacher and it's part of our contract that we are still paid. I liked being on jury duty, but I hate planning for substitute teachers.

11. I was 18 ten months when I got my letter....

I sent it back telling them I can't go because I'm a full time student on a scholarship and can't afford to miss class. I still have nothing back and it's Nov 9th. Guess I will need to call to find out.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I sat on a jury for a domestic violence case.

We ended up hung and the judge declared it a mistrial.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was on the jury for a dog bite law suit, they threw it out, the guy was major trespassing. I also was the jury forman for a federal payroll check fraud case. Very interesting, the courtroom is a much more professional place and far more mundane then Law and Order would have you believe. By the way the guy got the chair! :D

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Was it a mistrial because y'all were hung, or did you just not come to a verdict? ;) :D :D :D

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The best way to get out of jury duty is to tell the truth- tell them you'd make a terrific juror because you can spot guilty people a mile away!
    :eek:

:D

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If he wasn't guilty, he wouldn't be here, right? :D

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "Jury duty, jury duty, black mail, jury duty, jury duty"

i love the grinch.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I didn't know the other folks in the jury quite than well, so I can only speak for myself, and I'm like Disco Stu: I don't advertise.

We did not come to a veredict. We were split right down the middle.

19. I was granted an extension just by writing a request.
    I'm also a teacher, and asked to be called during the summer.
    This worked out well, I was called in one day and dismissed.