Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jury's verdict on this <$1k bass rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Jul 7, 2002.

1. ok, here's a bass rig idea i came up with, with a few options in it to hear other people's feedback. this rig is for a punk hardcore band; something in between rancid and minor threat:

bass -->
    sansamp bass driver preamp or a sansamp RBI -->
    carvin 600watt PA system power amp (really, and 400-1000 watts of clean power is ok; i'm looking for reliability and price here, mostly)-->
    avatar speakers 4x10 + tweeter (1200w handling), loaded with eminence speakers and made of birch plywood, not particle board, so it's lighter and stronger

the two guitarists in said band (i wanna brag about setup), one (me), uses a sovtek mig 50 through a 4x12 cab loaded (so loud tube head), and the other runs a ss 100w tube head into a 2x15 cab voiced for guitar, not bass. i think this setup would be good for a few reasons:

1. other than the bass, i'm pretty sure if you got the preamp and maybe the power amp used, you'd be spending less than $1000 on this rig.

2. seems like it would be versatile with the sansamp and the line-capability for larger venues, means you could also send it out for additional power. but power and speaker output are important for us, because as of right now it's not that economical for us to buy a large PA, and renting them is a b*tch now, and we do some DIY gigs. so basically, we're running just vocals out of a 2x12 PA.

any suggestions about how to change around this setup to maximize its effectiveness or other ideas i could use, or just feedback in general? thanks for reading!

2. I'd spend the extra $50 and get the 1000w Carvin power amp.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah get the DCM1000 or the DCM1500. other than that, sounds like it would work.. but you also need a rack space and a good speaker cable.. you could build a rack space yourself.. or you could order one. you can spend as much or as little on speaker cables as you want... just look around...

Good luck with your rig