Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a bass and poweramp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is there a problem with running just an active bass through a poweramp for one rehearsal besides the obvious lack of "tone"? The reason I'm asking is I'm dying to rehearse tonight and the preamp I've bought won't arrive till tues. and I've already sold my old one.

2. An active pickup such as the EMG puts out 1.0 Vrms which should be sufficient to drive most power amps.

Dunno if there are any other complications, but the voltage portion should not be a problem.

3. I would think that it should work, but who knows how well it'll sound.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I did an entire gig once with an MTD 535 straight into a Raven Labs MDB-1 mixer/buffer and then into a Mackie 1400 power amp. I set the Raven Labs so that there was no added gain, and much to my surprise I found that the tone was great and the on-board eq on the MTD gave me all I needed (and more) in terms of tone control. Plenty of volume.

I've considered trying it with my current Lakland, but intentionally this time...not just because I blew a preamp tube and didn't have a spare.

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I've tried it and I'm not getting near the volume I was when I ran it with a preamp. What's the deal???:confused: :(

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Not enough in to drive the amp. What amp is it? Some amps (like mine) need 1.4Vrms apparently.

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey bliss, its a mackie 1400i and I'm using my '97 Thumb N/T with the 3band and mec's straight in. Any ideas?:confused:

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Also whats a Vrm????:confused:

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Its not vrm, its vrms. Thats Volts RMS.