1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just a bass story

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by shawshank72, Nov 26, 2010.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Recently we played a rather large show with some semi named bands who were on the brink of becoming something. We did it as a favor to the owner who always takes care of us, because usually we wouldnt play a show with corporate rock posers. Of course we played first on a 3 band night and we were given a sound check thanks to knowing the sound man.
    As time went on and we were hanging out and mingling before our set the other 2 bands were starting to comment on us behind our backs, but we kept over hearing them as we were out and about. Basically they were saying things such as did you see the the bass players equipment? a combo amp and some walmart bass. How lame we have to play with these people, as they also commented on the other band members equipment as well. I was using my Mako Traditionals bass with flats and Schecter p bass pups while going through my GK MB212. I dont mean to stroke my ego because well.. I dont have one due to I know Im just an average player. We took the stage and about 3 songs in all of their crowd was going nuts and jumping around and cheering and having a good time. After we left the stage the other 2 bassists was in awe of how well my setup sounded, all the questions were what is that bass? What kind of amp is that? You didnt even use any effects? And as the night ended all the people kept commenting on how kick arse the first band sounded and how great the actual sound was compared to the other two bands. The other 2 bands were clearly a little pissy and uncomfortable with being over shadowed for a night.
    Just a rule fellow musicians.......... It dosent matter how much your gear costs, it matters how well you play with what you have. :bassist:

2. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Sounds like they have already become something...unpleasant and self-important.
    Congrats on mopping the floor with them.
    :)

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thank You
    It was fun to do ;)

4. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    You are the cause of the "tone is in the fingers" hype. People get so hung up on brands and money, they don't realize that a skilled musician uses his ears, not wallet, to find tone. Good job.

5. Stanley Pugh

Stanley Pugh

Jun 14, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, and so true :D

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Now this is my idea of an inspirational tale!

Good on ya. :bassist: