Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just A/B'd Hartke vs Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Mar 16, 2002.

1. I've been trying out various combos for the church gig I do... as I'm from a smallish town I don't have lots of choices except for what the local music store has in stock. This is what I tested: Hartke Kickback 15, Hartke 1415, and Peavey 115.

Let me also say that I generally LIKE Peavey... owned a head and 2x15 cab 15 or so years ago. I'd also heard alot of negative Hartke info... i.e. they're too thin, only good for "modern" music, etc, etc.

This is what I found:

Weight: Both Hartkes were about half the weight of the Peavey (100 lbs)... the Kickback was the lightest. At least for me, the Peavey was too heavy... I can't imagine moving that beast around weekly.

Features: Really, pretty compairable... the Kickback lacked a compression circuit that would have been nice... but other than that they all had what "I" needed.

Power: Peavey 115 - 210 watts, Hartke 1415 - 140 watts, and Hartke Kickback - 120 watts. I could tell no difference between the Hartke's...I needed both of them turned up about 1/3rd. The Peavey, on the other hand, I had to have turned up about 1/2 to be heard. Go figure!

Sound: The Hartke Kickback won hands down... it sounded full and rich, yet articulate all through the range of my 5 string fretless. It didn't seem to be missing the tweeter and had no problems handling even the lowest notes on my B string.

The Hartke 1415 was also quite nice... but it sounded somewhat different than the Kickback. I wish I could be a little more descriptive, but I can't. All I can say is that it had some of that Hartke sound that I'd been warned about, and I couldn't dial it out.

The Peavey sounded just terrible, nothing like my old Peavey stack. It was fat, warm, muddy, slow, garbled, and... well, just plain ugly. I really messed with the EQ but couldn't change much... no matter how hard I tried.

Price: The least expensive was the Hartke 1415 with the Kickback and the Peavey both being about $100 more...

I sure hope the church pops for the Kickback... I may spring for a compressor pedal if they do... any suggestions on which one?

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    which peavey was it?

3. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    I found the same thing when i got my Hartke. Except I was getting a stack. I Tried the HA4000 through a couple hartke 4x10s, and tried the Peavey Firebass through a 1x15, the Peavey was so muddy i couldnt even tell what note i had played. Eventually I decided on the HA4000 with the 4200 pro series cab.

I am also thinking of getting a Kickback to replace my Crate practice-amp:( only 25 watts and it weights a F*cking ton).

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    stonedbassist, i feel your pain. the crate bx25 is pretty heavy, and it doesnt even sound all that good.

5. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    it was either that or the fender 25 watter that really diddnt like. oh well, now i use the Crate as a guitar amp when friends come over to jam.