Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just A Begineer

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Submerged, Jan 6, 2002.

1. :confused: i started playing bass in September 2000 on a bass guitar that is like one that Paul Mccartney plays (my grandpa's old one) and i could really use some help. i have super problems when more then one string is used at a time. HELP!!!:eek:

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    there called chords.and there fun to play if you know how!theres 3 ways to play them...

1-with a pick
    2-your fingernail like your holding a pick
    3-put your thumb and pointer finger like your picking something small up.

Have fun and practice!

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    actually, it's a technique question, and that's this forum...looks perfect to me.

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    you can strum with your thumb, my tecnique, comes out nice and sustainy!

6. you can also do a finger combo, use more than one finger at a time. i prefer a pick, but if there is a string or to gap between some notes, you cant go hitting open notes, it just ruins the sound(unless they sound good there, but most likely wont)

7. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok im typing this again
    just a work of caution dont accidentally hit F5 it reloads the page

i often play intervals (2 notes is an interval not a chord) with my index or middle finger just like i was playing a single string. i find playing 3 strings that way is a little difficult. it might be easier on a 5 or 6 where the strings are closer. its nice 'cause you dont have to move your right hand at all. if i want to play a third i usually play a tenth with my thumb and finger (ex1) 'cause close thirds sound dissonant, espically on a bass. but fifths sound great. (ex 2)

ex1:

G:9
    D:--
    A:--
    E:8

ex2:

G:5
    D:3

i also like to play an open string as a drone and then play a melody on the adjecent string by striking both at the same time using the standard index middle index middle alternating stroke.

D:7-----10---9---12----7---------|
    A:000000000000000000000|

travis

8. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    travis those examples were really nice, i like experimenting with more than one string at a time, but have had to go through a ,ong time of guess work, thanks for helping out with all those in need

9. Hello Submerged and a warm welcome to talk Bass.

You take good care of that old bass....it might be worth big $$$ someday:D :D

John

10. Submerged,

You just might have an extremely defective bass! ;)
    Does it look like a violin? I'll buy it real cheap! LOL!

Linda

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I might also suggest to spend an hour or two (which one can easily do) reading through Mike Dimin's forum, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14. This topic is discussed quite frequently as I understand he is exceptional with this technique. If you don't find what you need in his forum, ask him.