Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a bit ticked off at Mesa right now.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Mar 14, 2004.

1. I blew one of the speakers in my Mesa 2x15 today...I was at an audition, playing through my 400+, and it was a jazzy reggae skapunk band with two guitarists playing through Fender DeVille's and a jazz-touch drummer. We were not that loud. About 2 hours into the rehearsal, bam...that pitiful distortion of a blown speaker.

This is the second time one of their 15's has blown on me. The first was a 1x15, which I had for just 3 months before it blew, and I had it repaired under warranty, but I was jaded and sold it for a $100 loss. The 2x15 is less than 5 months old, and I will once again get it repaired under warranty, only to sell it for another loss.

I guess I should have just bought the Ampeg 8x10 like everybody else.

I beat the hell out of my bass (slapping the B, digging in, playing with a pick, etc.) and like gut-wrenching lows as well as defined mids and crisp highs. Is there a cabinet out there that will take what I can give it? I bought into the hype that Mesa was the best, and now I know I overpaid.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Mo Phat, here's a thought, and maybe a way you can preserve some of your investment. Take out the remaining 15" speaker, and sell it on eBay. Get yourself a pair of EVX-155's, and put them in the Mesa cabinet. They're rated at 600 watts each, and it's very unlikely you'll blow them out with that amp. They definitely will take the gut wrenching lows and slapped B's, I've been using them for many years and have yet to have any problems. I have a 2x15 with EVX-155's I use with a 1200 watt WW Ultra, and haven't had any issues. If you really want to hear that killer low B, you can step up to EVX-180A's, they're 18" speakers rated at a kilowatt each. I use a pair of those for outdoor rock gigs, driven from a 2100 watt Stewart 2.1. They'll make your pant legs vibrate at 50 yards.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had alot of luck doing the same thing with a 215 that had Peavey Black Widows in it.

-Mike

4. jwb

jwb

Nov 4, 2003
    Although disappointing Mesa could not get it right, the head amp has good tone. Replace the cheap speakers with quality units and never look back.

Many amps come with a cheap '$20 speaker' hiding behind the grill cloth to keep the inital cost of the amp package low.
    That old saying 'Ya get what ya pay for'.......unfortunately, I am sure you figured ya paid enough first time around.

I do not know that Mesa cab. If it is ported, speakers should be tuned to the cab volume. Eminence Kappa 15 have low QTS thus should work well in a tuned port cab that is not huge sized. 36hz to 2.5kHz, and 450 watts RMS rated & 4 or 8 ohm. I have not heard these speakers, anyone else?

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I replaced my EV 15L with an Eminence Kappa Pro 15. The EV was still OK, just tired. My cab is the Diesel Cabs with EVs stock. You may have the newer cabs. BTW, why are you dumping the 400+?

6. I would say that your current cabinet design doesn't go high enough or low enough to satisfy you. You want a full range hi-fi type cabinet. Most 2x15 cabs I've played roll off pretty sharply below 50 and 2K Hz. You are probably trying to compensate for this roll off by boosting those frequencies on the EQ. You are throwing a bunch of energy into the speaker where is doesn't respond well and hence end up melting the voice coils. :bawl: What speakers should you try? The kind of sound you want doesn't come cheap. Acme has it but you need a lot of them and a ton of power. Accugroove definitely has it and you'll pay for it. Many guys on this forum like the Bergantino 322. That would be were I'd start looking. Jmo

7. jwb

jwb

Nov 4, 2003
    Kappa 15s do roll off at 2.5kHz. :meh:

Eminence Delta Pro is flat to 4kHz, has good bottom-end response, but available only in 8 ohm. Parallel wiring equals 4-ohms. I am not sure Mesa has a four ohm tap. The speaker Qts is a respectable .40 or good for ported cabinets. Anyone hear these DELTAs play?

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Which Mesa cab do you have, the old series or new? What kind of EQ settings are you using? Are you setting your amp with some distortion in the tone? Help us out with some details so perhaps we can help diagnose what went wrong.

Even I have destroyed a speaker or two; I think that kind of thing will happen to at least a few people no matter what brand you are using. I had a grinding voice coil in one of my EV 10's a year ago, but I called Mesa, and they replaced it for free. No more problems.

As far as I know, no amp manufacturer is actually making their own speakers, just designing them. You can QC things all you want at the factory, but some things can just go wrong down the line no matter what you do before it leaves the factory. Perhaps your complaint is not with Mesa, but you've just had a case of lighting striking in the same spot twice and got two bum speakers. Did you like the tone of the cab before it blew? There must have been something that made you buy it then; I would see about fixing the problem rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

9. This kind of sound doesn't usually come from 15" speakers. I think you are talking 2 or 3 way cab and maybe even bi-amp.

10. Sorry I was away for awhile, thanks so much for the replies, and I'll try to answer as much as I can.

I set my EQ as you would for any reggae/Dub situation, which may have contributed to the problem: boosted lows, slightly boosted mids, flat highs, both pickups (humbucking J and MM humbucker, bass EQ flat), passive mode, channel 2 at about 3, and master volume at 5.5. But I don't play reggae/dub like any reggae/dub bassist I've ever heard. I'm constantly tossing in things here and there to add nuance and texture. It may be blasphemy to do so, but I consider it stretching the envelope, and the band I was auditioning for loved it. I've been invited back whenever I get my cab situation figured out.

I'm selling the 400+ because I got a QSC 3402 for $500, and am in the process of deciding a preamp. I have begun many threads regarding the 400+ 'farting' out on me, and the answers I got from many helpers on this board all led me to go for much more headroom. When I saw the deal I could get on the QSC, I couldn't pass it up. The only reason I was using the 400+ was because I needed the preamp.

I have also started a thread awhile ago about using a 2x15 or a 4x10 as a standalone cabinet for gigs and rehearsals, and again the helpers on this board were relatively unanimous that the 2x15 was the way to go, and I thought for the style of music in the size space we were playing, the 2x15 would be ideal.

It's the new Powerhouse series, purchased in September 2003 from the local Guitar Center. It was a special order that I had to wait 2 months for. The reason I decided to get it was two-fold. 1) I had already blown the Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 I got to complement my Mesa Powerhouse 4x10, and had just considered it a fluke that the speaker blew. 2) From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I didn't want to mix cabinets, and [from mesa's website] "Lie the 2x15 on its side, place the 4x10 on top, powered by the 400+ and you will own any venue you play."

I like the idea of upgrading speakers, but I am already in the pipeline for a warranty-d repair. I don't want to get it back 'as good as new'...I want a cabinet that can simply do what it should do.

Greybeard The reason I went with the 2x15 is because the sound I got was exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps my ears are wired differently than everybody else's, but this cab sounded angelic to me. The highs were bright, but not tinny, and the mids were punchy without being shallow. The lows were alright, but I knew I couldn't get a complete full-range setup without getting multiple cabinets.

nonsqtr Do you know of any vendors of EV speakers in the San Diego area? I'll be doing my own search, but if you know any off-hand, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again for everybody's help.

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Mo'Phat, I've found some of the EV's at Freedom Guitar from time to time, and they might be able to order a new one for you if they don't happen to have one in stock. Also eBay is a good place to look, there was a guy out in Philadelphia that had a few hundred of them and was selling them for a pretty reasonable price, don't know if he's still there but it might be worth a checkout. If you can't find 'em, drop me an e-mail, and I'll reply with some phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    + 1......

Big power capability and decent sound.

Fo

13. I was able to A/B the new mesa cabs with my old Diesel and Road Ready cabs, mine are still equipped with EVs.
    I prefer my older models. They never gave up on me and sound IMO a lot cleaner, open and more focused than the new Mesa cabs. By the way, I either use the Mesa M2000 basis or the walkabout head, and I play a lot of outdoor gigs, where it can get LOUD.