Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a couple more questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jiant., Jul 4, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    First off, I promise this will be my last thread about what bass I'm gonna buy next....I think.... Anyway, I've read a ton of reviews, talked to several friends and I'm set on a Fender Jazz. Their Deluxe Active Jazz has caught my eye, but I don't really know much about active electronics. What are the pros and cons of having a bass with active electronics as opposed to passive? I know that it takes a 9 volt battery, but I've heard that it will last a few months, which isn't that bad. So what would be the main differences between this bass, their Standard Jazz and their American Jazz (which I've heard are lacking in quality these days.)? Thanks so much for the help this far, and for the help all you guys are sure to give me on this. God Bless. -Brad

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    What I like most about my active bass over my passive one is the range of tone adjustment available to me right there on the guitar. So when I am practicing, I can dial the settings for the song I am playing without stooping over the amp.

OTOH, it can be overwhelming until you get a feel or a touch for the knobs and switches. I am sure that some of the knowledgeable folks here prefer the K.I.S.S. vol/vol/tone passive set up for that reason.

If you go active, just make certain you always a spare battery (or two).

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I went active for the first three years of my bass career and it's nice to have, though passive electronics seem to be a Godsend. As much as I like the variability on board -- onboard preamps usually have some sort of EQ -- this is nothing I haven't learned to do with my amp. syciprider is right, after three years, I find a passive V/V/T to be more than enough to get the sound I want.

Plus, there's nothing worse than having a battery die on a gig.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Some active basses have an option to switch over to passive and still feature good old school tone controls. That way you have a backup in the event of battery failiure and also yet another tonal option. Active is always nice to have but it's not something worth going mad over, try it and see if you think it's worth it.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did forget to mention this as well. The bass I'm getting in the mail in a few days is a Marcus Miller Jazz... meaning active preamp that can be bypassed. Yay for bypass!

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    this will be my next bass,a whole new Fender Jazz Deluxe,am waiting for the NAMM convention for decide wich one i get,people to say this days Fenders are lacking in quality are crazy heads or Sadowskys fanatics,the Fenders of those days are goods than the basses they produce in the 60,s..don,t believe all that you read in the net,test the bass and take your our opinion about the bass.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's all about getting your hands on a prospective bass to test drive it. Anything made by humans will have some variance in quality.

Tired from a weekend of fun on a Monday, hungover from Bowling Night on Thursday and rushing the job to get out early on a Friday.

All these and more affect quality.

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well it's nice to hear a lot of honest personal experience. I always carry several extra batteries now for my wireless system, so that won't be a problem, plus if it dies I'll just use my other bass. Is there any way to tell if an active bass' preamp can be bypassed, or does anyone know if the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz can be played as passive too? Thanks for all the great advice guys. God Bless. -Brad