Just a few tech questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 21, 2001.

1. 1) What is RMS? Ex. "240 watts RMS"

2) What is bridging?

3) What is Bi-amping?

4) How much do replacement tubes cost?

Thanks in advance
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    1.) RMS = Root Means Square. In normal terms, if an amp is rated at 500 watts, that means that at the absolute top volume, it is pumping out 500 watts and is probably full of distortion. If an amp is 500 watts RMS that is a more accurate power rating as that is the loudest possible the amp can get BEFORE "clipping" or distorting.
    200 watt amp vs. 160 RMS, more than likely the 160 is a better way to go. That's just me.

2.) Most power amplifiers have two channels, and the signal that is input to them are sent to two different speakers, usually with half of the overall wattage going to each side. e.g. 500 watts total, 250 to each side. Bridging is sending all the power into one channel, that is to say, 500 watts into one cab. (or more, if they're daisy-chained, but thats a different story.)

3.) Bi-amping is done with a unit called a "Crossover." It splits the signal into two different signals. You would first set the crossover point at a certain frequency, and then all of the signal below that point (the low frequencies) can be sent to one destination while the high frequencies can be sent to another. This is handy if you have, say, a 1x15 cab and 4x10, you could send the lo frequencies to the 15, which it is better at producing, and the highs to the tens. So, to summarize, you split the signal into Hi and Lo frequencies.

This is an edit, I forgot to mention that when you Bi-amp you need two seperate power amps for it to work.

4.) I don't know. Check at http://www.musiciansfriend.com

[Edited by superduck on 01-22-2001 at 11:02 AM]