Just a little problem here...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I just recently got my truss rod and action adjusted by a professional cuz I couldn't get it the way I wanted it, however there's one problem.

The action is nice and low, which I like. But it buzzes like crazy in the first five frets. Does this mean I should loosen the truss rod a bit? If so, how much?

At Garry Willis' website, he says to fret the first fret of the A string and hold the string down to the other end of the fretboard with your elbow and see how much you can press the string down on the neck. There's hardly any room, if any. He said if this is the case to loosen it, I assume that's what i should do. But how much??
  2. RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    everyone has told me no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn per adjustment. (only one adjustment per 2-3 days)
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yep, that's it. And veeery carefully. (yes, loosening, too)
  4. Hi Fleabass89.

Try surfing to www.mrgearhead.net

There you'll find all the answers you need to set up your P bass.

You're basically after a slight curve in the neck away from the strings. From memory Fender suggest cappo @ 1st and 18th. The string thus acts as a straight-edge against which you can tell how much the neck bows, if at all. Mr Gearhead gives all the details you need.

RockinRookie is correct. About a quarter of a turn then leave the neck to settle for a day or two.

Rockin John
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Before you touch anythingn does it buzz through an amp? If it does, remedy the problem, if it dosen't, don't touch it!!!!!
  6. what nino said, and bring it back to the guy and have HIM re-adjust it.
  7. I can't tell if it buzzes through the amp or not, because it's so loud when I play, I can't tell whether its the bass or both the bass or the amp. I'm thinking about leaving it where it is because it feels nice dispite the buzzing
  8. I enjoy a low action like you do and on my main axe have some slight buzzing - usually only when I'm digging in. It doesn't come through the amp so I leave it where it is.