Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a little rant about web sites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Oct 4, 2002.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    O.K., If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I can live with that, but aren't web sites supposed to an avenue for companies to show us their latest and greatest stuff? I mean before the web you had to wait for the next years catalogue. Well I was just on the Danelectro web site (I know I know) and had a question about their DC bass. I get back an e-mail saying that the DC bass has been discontinued for 2 years.2 years. Why is it still on their web site, sheesh????
    O.K. I have to relax now. Breath, breath, that's better. Am I alone here?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, your right. Dano has a lame webmaster.

3. Yup. I emailed Gibson abuot a PRICE for a custom G3 or if they had any lying around..

I got "here is a list of Gibson dealers... and our custom shop is closed"

I want a G3:mad: :(

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think part of the problem is that often times, the webmaster doesn't actually work for the company in question.

I have a problem with a lot of band websites -- where is the in-depth stuff that we all want to know? I don't care what size shoe Joe Blow wears, tell me about his rig! I mean, would it kill them to list the gear used on a particular recording, or outline the settings used to get a specific tone? It's not like I'm gonna go to Tool's website, "steal" Justin Chancellor's settings and put him out of work!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, it's "Disaster-electro". What were you expecting.....quality???? :D

Try looking at sites with real basses tjhat aren't made with the same materials as your cereal bowl. (Okay, Dano owners who don't own real, vintage, Dano's can flame me. But you know the newer stuff is embarrassing).

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't have a Dano. I was just surfin around. But it's not just low end manufacturers. Eden although better than Danos' site still leaves alot to be desired. Have you seen their site map page? Summer NAMM coverage 1997. Gee you'd think Eden would go to NAMM more regularly. And I saw their 215 and 112 about 8 months before they where on the web.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar problem with the Bass Centre website - it hardly ever seems to be updated and never reflects what you actually see in the shop.

But on the other hand I think - well would I rather have great website and a crappy shop or a great shop and a bad website?

Whenever I go in they are very busy getting all the new stock organised but are always friendly and helpful - I think it's better this way round - OK both would be nice, but I'd rather have the great shop, than they ignored me and sorting out the gear, to spend time updating the website.

I think if you are talking about the music gear business, that they haven't got the margins and large budgets to spend a lot of time on websites and I'd always rather the time and effort went into great service and products before a flashy website.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I agree that retailer web sites aren't as important as customer service. But manufacturer web sites, I think is another issue. Since most stores don't carry all manufacturers' products the web would be a place where a manufacturer could say hey look at this, this is brand, new go ask for it at your local retailer. I mean how you gonna sell stuff if nobody knows you make it? OTOH the SWR web site is usually updated and full of current info.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I know it sounds logical, but some of the best gear I have tried is made by a very small number of people - we're not talking Fender here! ;)

So - often they just don't have the budget to spend on a website and I'm glad really that they put all their resources into making great products.

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Dave Matthews Band is kind enough to provide that service, don't really know any other band that does though... There are also some good fansites on the matter though

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't think I should argue with the Supreme Arguer;) ,but I think web sites, as costly as they are, should be concidered as part of the cost of doing business. All advertising is expensive. Of coarse this is coming from someone with no business experience or knowledge. But that's what I think:D

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Agreed, swing. It seems like some makers of fine gear treat the web as sort of a "necessary evil" to their business or something one of their marketing people forced on them.

I can't count the number of "Contact Us" buttons I've used to email a company, (usually wood or gear), and they never even bother to get back - or - they just say, "call us."
    Then I phone, only to get put on hold, or, interrupted numerous times by other things going on in their store/office. :rolleyes:

13. Bruce Lindfield

Why not - it's all part of the fun -step up and try your luck!! ;)

I think the view that a website shoudl be part of the cost of running a business is in part, what fuelled the "Dot.Com Bubble" - but that's well and truly burst now! ;)

Big companies have great websites - little ones are probably going to find that direct mail, loyal customers and a decent relational database system on their PC will have to do - plus whatever free advertising they can "scam" !

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The little guys should stick to what they can handle then. Maybe they need a clean website that has contact info, instead of a web based inventory system they can't hope to keep up with. You can build a nice page with a web design program for free and host it for 10$ a month.

edit: trying to do business on the web really should have the same rules as any other "physical" business. One of which is to not over-extend yourself, however tempting that may be.

15. Bruce Lindfield

If you knew what you were doing (I would have no idea how to do this) and aren't spending every waking minute, running the business as well as trying to make great stuff!! :(

It's OK for those of us who have load of time and are basically internet nerds to sit around and say all this, but it bears no relation to the real world!! ;)

16. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    There ya go 10 bucks a month. I'm not really looking for flashy web sites with music this and flash that and floating graphics, a la Aggie. Just up to date info on what they make. And if they don't make it anymore then for god sakes take off the site before two years go by. Oi!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah but the point is that the updating part requires knowledge of HTML or the like, as well as TIME - which is exactly what these very small businesses don't have!! ;)

18. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    My band has a site,simple one page kinda thing with some links to pics and stuff and it doesn;t take much time at all

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm talking about the original complaint, the big site that never gets updated. I'm not talking about the little guys who have no site at all. It takes about an hour to download a good free program like 1st page, make a website with one of the templates provided, then use your credit card to buy hosting and upload your site. Any zombie can do it. My point it this: if you are going to bother to have a site, at least know what you can handle and do it correctly instead of creating a mass of dead links and old information that lead people to believe you have gone out of business!

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's what I mean, if you don't have time create a site that doesn't take time! Just put an email addy and a phone number. You'll probably never have to update it!