Just a little string help.....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wild2003cat, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Wild2003cat

Sep 12, 2000
    Hey Hey, if any of you got tired of begginners, too bad cause here's another rookie question. Too what extent will different strings affect the sound of the guitar. I was thinking about changing strings because of the age of my current ones....just curious I suppose.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    By guitar, I assume you mean bass. ;) Strings can be separated into five broad categories, as follows:

-Nickel roundwound. I think these are probably the most popular and are represented by GHS boomers, Ernie Ball Slinkies, D'Addario XL's and the like. Known for warm sound and brightness.

-Stainless roundwound. Brighter than the nickels, not usually so warm, harder on frets. DR High Beams, Dean Markley Blue Steel, Rotosound 77, and lots more.

-Half-round. These start life as roundwounds, but are ground to a semi-flat finish. Brighter than true flatwounds, not so bright as roundwounds. GHS Brite Flats, D'Addario Half-round, Dean Markley Ground Round, others?

-Flatwound. These can be had in nickel, stainless steel, and monel. They usually have a deep, thumpy sound. Very smooth finish and the least bright (usually) of the types listed. Fender, Labella, Rotosound, Dean Markley, GHS, D'Addario, Pyramid and others make them.

-Tapewound. These are flatwound or roundwound strings that have a hard nylon tape wrapped tightly around them. They tend to have more of an "acoustic" sound, but with some brightness and sustain. LaBella, Rotosound, Fender, and others have these available.

There are also compressed roundwounds, and variations of the above categories. Almost every brand will sound different than the others. It takes some of us a while to figure out what sounds good to us.

Also, please realize that the above are broad generalizations based on my own experience.

YMMV, HTH, and consult a physician if a rash develops.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that new strings often sound way different than old ones, particularly roundwounds.