1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just-a-nut III for J-bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hagelslag, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Hi guys,

If this has been posted before somewhere, sorry.

The nut on my bass cracked when changing strings, so I need a new one. Being left handed I can kinda give up on the chance finding one at my local music shop so I need to order one online.

As even alot of online shops fail to stock left handed equipment, the Just-a-nut III is one of the only ones I can find that come in LH.

So now for my question: Does it fit my J-bass neck? More specifically my Warmoth made J-bass neck? (don't know if there is a difference).

Thanks in advance!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've just flipped a regular Fender style nut for use on a left-handed neck.

You could also get a blank and file your own slots, or have them filed for you.

3. check the parts suppliers stew mac or look at tusq.... they make pretty nice pre cut nuts all you do is file the bottom to height....(dont go to far)..or buy 2 they r pretty cheap. and no the justa nut wont fit with out routing the nut slot wider...also if u NEED to play it just crazy glue the piece back till you can get what you need..i had crazy glued my vintage Pbass nut..for a year till i finally found some good bone to use

4. There's no reason why the Just-a-nut III will not work on your J-bass neck, but some modifications may be required. The Just-a-nut III is designed to be placed at the END of the fingerboard, whereas a Fender-style nut is placed within the fingerboard. Here are two links to illustrate what I mean:

Just-a-nut III:
    http://www.warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=14547&cl=EN

Warmoth / Fender-style:
    http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Necks/StringNut.aspx

As such, it is highly likely that some modification will be necessary, since they are two diffferent designs. This would be best if you had a repair shop take care of this change. With that, you might as well have them replace it with a Fender-style nut anyway & avoid the whole design change.

ian

5. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies, think I'll just try to glue the broken one back in for now as I need my bass tonight anyway.

I also noticed the Just-a-nut doesn't have the right radius anyways so a direct J-bass replacement would make more sense.

Thanks again