just a nut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eldermike, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I have considered stringing my 5 string corvette with a High C set. Do I need to replace the nut? Or can I try this without replacing it and forget about the width differences in this case?
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The strings might rattle in their slots. Does this bass have the adjustable Warwick nut? In that case, I think you might not have a problem, but I'm not that familiar with the Warwick nut.
  3. I don't know about the original Just-A-Nut, but if it's one of the newer Just-A-Nut II (the plastic ones, I believe they used to be brass or something) then you would still have the problem of the strings being able to move sideways in the slot(the slot being too wide).
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Don't both versions of the J-A-N have vee slots so that string thickness changes present no problem?
  5. again, I don't know about the original, but on my bass (the II version) the only advantage you have is the ability to raise the nut, which has nothing to do with sideways movement.
  6. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    Mine is not a vee slots. The adjustment is up/down. I think I am going to try it and see if the side play bothers me.
    Thanks for the responces.