1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just a personal complaint

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemanvic, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dudemanvic

dudemanvic

Mar 14, 2007
    ok, straight to the point, i absolutly HATE!!!!!!!!! the way my bass sounds when it's recorded direct in, and for the past 2 demos my band did, i ended up recording direct in when i said "please mic me, i hate the sound of direct in" and yet i always end up getting recorded direct in. right now, my band is recording a full cd, and i was lucky enough to get record at least 2 songs miced before my old amp died and i got my head/cab setup, and i said, please mic my cab, it sounds better, and the head gets plugged direct in (CRAP!) and i hate the way it sounds. anyone else get this happen to them every singe time they record? anyone else hate the way their bass sounds direct in or is it just me? anyway, anyone else wanna complain about their recording experiences, please do

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I always record direct. I like the unadulterated sound of the bass. If you want it to sound miked, there's plenty of ways to post-process it. Who's forcing you to record some way other than the way you want to?

3. I'm there with you. I do not like recording with a DI only. The best recorded sound I ever produced was a mic at the speaker, another about 2 ft away, plus DIed.

I couldn't tell you how much of each the engineer blended in the final, but it was a far better sound than DI alone...more rich and natural sounding.

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I hear ya.

Even started a thread about this very topic.

5. rockambo

rockambo

Apr 12, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I always ask for a hybrid, i.e. some DI and some amp. That way a give the engineer the clear signal he's looking for, but I can color the sound with the grit and tone of my amp.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021