1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poisonoakie, Aug 13, 2007.

1. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to have a rig that just consisted of my bass with a built in active Audere pre amp, a power amp and then speakers? I find that the Audere gives me plenty of timbre sculpting possibilities and my head's eq is usually set flat. Are there certain power amps that would work better for this?

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the Audere will not put out enough grunt to feed a poweramp alone. The Audere puts out an instrument level signal, you need proper preamp that will amplify an instrument level to a line level which is what a poweramp needs to be fed to run properly.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. There are some onboard pre's which put out a hotter-than-usual signal, and there are some power amps which are sensitive enough at the input to be driven "well enough" by that hot onboard pre signal. So there are a few people who run it like that, bass straight into power amp. But AFAIK it won't work well for the majority of basses/power amps; and as Remo said, the Audere output is not a very hot signal.

4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Worked nicely with my bass - poweramp combination. Fairly hot signal and high input sensitivity, good match.

Just grab your bass, head for the next well stocked PA department and ask to try out some poweramps....
    If you cant get the poweramp to clip with its attenuator(s) fully open, then the onboard pre isn't hot enough

5. just get a decent DI to put between your bass and poweramp, that will boost the signal and not color the sound much

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A DI is not necessarily a signal booster; the main thing they do is convert the signal from unbalanced to balanced. Some DI's will boost the signal a bit, or a lot, but even then the output may not be hot enough to drive many power amps.
    Actually, some people have had poor luck even with those. Yes, they boost the signal a bunch, but not enough to "fully" drive some power amps; possibly due to mismatched impedance. So it works, but maybe not very efficiently or well, depending on the amp.