Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean S, Dec 30, 2004.

1. What are possible consequences of running a line from my effects send to my input?
    I tried it...made some weird noises...
    my dad told me not to do it...
    and I stopped...

just for info, it's a Peavey DeltaBass with a 2x15"

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    That is feedback of a purely electronic form, best case, your amp makes some funny noises, worst case, you turn the gain a tad too high and your speakers overheat. Don't do it again.

3. jdagger

jdagger

Nov 21, 2004
    Not sure I understand but it sounds like you are creating what is called a feedback loop. (From Signal In to Send, From Send back to Signal In ) It won't do anything useful and could definitely cause you problems that will require a trip to the Amp Doctor.

Tell us what you are trying to accomplish and maybe we can show you the way to get there.

4. this is what I mean

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yes, we understand what you did, just not WHY you would want to do such a thing. It creates a feedback loop, is good for nothing, and can cause damage. DO NOT do it again, okeedokee?????

6. I was just trying things...
    and it sounded cool/weird...

that's why I did it

what other damage could it incur? (besides speakers overheating)

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Hearing damage for starters. If the amp is susceptible to cross-conduction and it happens to oscillate at an ultrasonic frequency there is a risk of fire, destroyed output devices or even damage to the power supply.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

All of those are possible, but blown opamps or small signal transistors are typically the first things I've seen fail when this is done.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I apologize in advance.

That is one of the dumbest things I've seen here in a long time. You obviously have no clue as to what you're doing, so you just start plugging one thing into something else (see my signature). Keep it up, and you'll probably end up dead sooner rather than later.

I suggest you read the manual of your equipment and learn what each feature does. You're lucky you didn't plug the amp's speaker output into the input. You would've let all the smoke out of the amp, and probably burned the house down at the same time. Knucklehead.

I apologize in retrospect.

10. it's not that I "have no clue as to what [I'm] doing, so just start plugging one thing into something else"

well, not no clue exactly...

I was curious as to what could happen (i.e. sounds)

...I know this doesn't completely absolve me, but why would I have a 2x15 and the head (which I searched for and chose...not given) if I had no idea what I was doing?

hm.

that came across as argumentative...sorry...didn't mean to...

11. Hey, a little experimentation is great,

BUT it's important to understand as much as you can about your amp FIRST. That's why Munji responded the way he did. The owners manual should have a pretty good explanation of the signal path, so once you understand it, it should be more obvious why there wouldn't be any benefit to trying the connection you tried.

As others have said, you're lucky you didn't fry your amp...but since the amp apparently survived, all's well that ends well. Keep rockin'....

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    *sarcasm mode On*: I'll bet those around you would hear some "pretty cool sounds" if you hooked up a wire to your private parts, and stuck the other end of the wire into an electric outlet. Yep, pretty weird sounds would happen.

Seriously, DON'T do this, its just an attempt to help you see that you are playing with potentially deadly electrical current. I suggest you not experiment carelessly, or you might wind up dead.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

I can top that one. :D

Once I accidentally plugged my speaker output back into the instrument in. :D:D:D

But yeah, "Danger, Will Robinson". :)

14. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Don't go stickin' things where they don't belong...

Advice to live by...

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    how many people have died in car accidents from not knowing the capabilities of their vehicles? Apparently none as everyone who drives a vehicle knows what they're doing. Just because you're behind the wheel doesn't mean you know where to find the radio.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Just ask ... "snap, crackle, pop!"

You don't have to be nice to me ... I wasn't nice to you.
    [stimpy]But now we can be best friends.[/stimpy]

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, that's a bit different from doing it intentionally.

18. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Threads like these are depressing. I bust my balls for an amp, and some kid gets one from his dad for free to screw up for "fun"

If you are bored, why not practice your insturment? :eyebrow:

19. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Bobb.......the message has been made clear so ya' know what? You're forgiven. :)

We all screw up. As an example, I was doing sound for a BIG band one night. The lights went down, the band hit the stage, I brought all the faders up and then made a terrible discovery--I'd forgotten to plug the snake into the board.

I'd been distracted while putting the system together. Will I ever do that again? Nope.....and neither will you mess with plug pole A into slot B.

Now, go eat a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats and all will be well. :^>)

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Reminds me of the time my brother stuck a fork in an electrical outlet. Shocked the living snot out of him. After that, I chased him around the house with the iron, holding the plug and yelling, "I'm going to plug you in!" He's 50 now, but I still do it.