Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dad Bass, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Why would anyone make, market, sell, buy or play a black instrument. Or any opaque color unless you wanted to hide the wood and construction?

2. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Ive taken the paint off a cheapo washburn black bass.. Cant really say the wood was a pretty sight :p

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :confused: You wouldn't want to play this?? :confused:

[​IMG]

:cool:

4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    [​IMG]

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Some folks like the way they look. And depending on the style of music played it may be very appropriate.

Try to picture James Hetfield playing a nice, natural maple Gibson ES335..............

[​IMG]

Also, there's a lot of wood - most of it, in fact - that is just fine structurally for guitar and bass construction, but it's not necessarily very pretty, so a nice paint job makes it usable.

6. There's something wrong with this?
    [​IMG]

7. I really like black basses. They are like black cars in that they are hard to keep clean but there's just something about a black bass to me.

[​IMG]

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    After you've stripped the paint from a basswood instrument and are dissapointed the paint looked better, maybe you'll understand.

I prefer natural wood grains, but not all wood is created equal! Several good tone woods dont look all that great, especially if they use a not so pretty piece because they know it will be painted. Its usually cheaper to buy a bass with decent tone wood, that doesnt happen to be very pretty and paint it than it is to invest in pretty wood that sounds good too.

9. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    For one thing, a darker instrument facilitates shifting the emphasis from the visual to the aural.........it's not about what the bass looks like - it's about what eminates from the speakers in my humble opinion.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    + 1,000,000

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Because black is beautiful - and I couldn't find my Geddy Lee Jazz in red.
    :D

12. I couldn't play that bass. :crying:

I do, however, wholeheartedly support black (and solid color) basses. I think they have a very classy look. There are tons of gorgeous solid-color basses. Here's my black Fender Jazz Bass:

[​IMG]

13. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Man, I love those solid color Fenders :cool:

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [Cartman]

Sweeeeeeeet...

[/Cartman]

[​IMG]

15. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    I hear ya, Dad Bass! I'll be the first to tell you that I LOVE my OLP MM3 in black w/ matching headstock. However, I picked up an old Japanese Fender knock-off a few years ago at a pawn shop for $70 (NOT a good knock-off, but a really cool vintage tone!). Had crappy, oversprayed paint on the body and neck. Decided to strip and repaint the body. Got it stripped and found the coolest layered wood with a really cool front and back laminate! Needless to say, it has been a natural bass ever since!

Juneau is right, some of these woods just ain't so hot! Stripped an old, cheap Epi a while back, and the wood was hideous. Painted it electric green, and it looked a million time better.

On the other hand, I've now owned a Yamaha RBX170 and an Ibanez GSR190 (both are the lowest end basses from these companies), both in some version of "candy apple red" stain (not paint), and both had absolutely beautiful wood. Really sorry I got rid of the Yamaha! The Ibanez is my current project.

16. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Well first off, the question isn't very clear. What does buying and playing a painted instrument have to do with hiding the construction?
    But anyway, I'm guessing all construction and wood issues aside that manufacturers make black and solid color instruments because people (like me) buy them.
    Since there is a demand, I guess those shoddily constructed out of ugly wood black basses will just keep getting built.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How did I ever suffer through owning this one???

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Stealth? :D

[​IMG]

18. I can only answer the 'playing' part of your question- my passive MIA J-5 was cheap, plays nice(it has the oh-so-rare decent Fender B string)& gets more compliments, tone-wise, than my Stambaugh 6. Personally, I don't much care for the finish, but that has little, if any, effect on the sound. That's why I play a black bass.
    Oh, & it goes w/ANY outfit. ;)

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Why would anyone own an orange cat and then name it Red? To hide the fact that it's not a dog? :meh: