1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just a quick Fender question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIjake, Feb 27, 2008.

1. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    I'm looking at an American Jazz at a store near me. This thing has hung on the rack for a few years, it's either a '01 or '02. It's in perfect condition with all the tags still on it. This shop is pretty out of the way so it's not a GC player that's been banged about.
    My question is when did Fender start using the S1 system? I may pick it up if it's not. TIA

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That bass should not have the s1 switch. that switch came out around 2006. The bass you saw if it's new is a NOS or "new old stock" bass. I brought my 2000 jazz in 2002 new for $750! Don't (imho) pay more than that regardless how got it looks or how well it plays!

3. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    hah, that's what he's asking for it!

4. My '04 has it. Came out around mid '03. So yeah, it should be "S-1-less". Check the knobs, the neck volume knob will have a dot near it's edge instead of a line as usual. The S-1 switch is in the middle of it(pushes in, sets like a pen).
    On the Jazz it actually does make for an interesting "P"-like tone. I like it for when I only want the "P" for a tune or two. That way I only need to carry one bass.
    Josh

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    My 2003 P bass has the S-1.

Buy this bass whether or not it has the S-1, it's actually useful on a Jazz. What price can you get it for? $600-700?

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It came out in mid-2003. I bought my S-1 Jazz in August of that year.

7. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    if it does have the S1, and you don't want it... just rip it out and put a new pot in it... 5 minutes work...

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL

+1.

9. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    And a $5-$10 part. Plus a new knob.

10. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    yeah and the obvious stuff... but it would be a waste just to pass up on a good bass, just because it has an S1 switch right?

11. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    So I assume you haven't seen the bass personally yet... That's why you're asking. Did the shop tell you it was an 01 or 02? Ask for the serial number to verify... I have an 04 with the S-1 and yes as with a previous post I do find it useful at times. Yet another option for an ever versatile bass - and since it doesn't affect the normal tone when not in use then it's a true plus - I could understand not wanting it if it somehow affected the normal tone because there's like an extra wire in the system or something.

12. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Completely agree!! I personally wouldn't bother changing the pots, I'd keep it as is.

2001-2002 I hear were auspiciously good years for Fender basses (is auspiciously a word????).

13. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    well if it is... I have no clue what it means :p
    yeah I would keep it as is to, I love my S1...

14. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    Actually I did see the bass. I know the year cause it's got a Z1 serial # I just couldn't remember if it had the S1 knob.
    I guess I misunderstood the issues people were having with the S1. Now I get it, it seems to be useful on the Jazz but not the P-bass.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

He's asking $750 for it. I've got to go back and play it, we'll see..............

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    what does the s1 switch do anyways?....

16. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Changes the pickups from series to parallel and vice versa. Gives you a huge, thick sound when pushed in. It's a nice little feature but it wouldn't make or break a bass for me. I have it on my 60th anniversary Jazz, it's cool but I never really use it unless I feel like I'm being drowned out for some reason.