1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just a quick hello from a returning bassist

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by jhob, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jhob

jhob

Mar 24, 2013
    So, my musical journey started on bass as a teenager, I was crap and eventually gave up.

As my 30s rolled around I picked up the ukulele and for the first time in my life understood how to play and make music.

Just recently I have had an urge to give the bass another crack and this weekend bought an ashbory bass (due to be delivered this week).

I went for the ashbory as the the scale length will be more familiar from the ukulele and I'm just more likely to pick up and play it if it's smaller. I always did find basses a bit of a stretch for my hands.

Fretless would used to have scared me but since building a couple of cigar box guitars and diddley bows I realised that my ear for 'finding' the right note wasn't so appalling after all.

I'm currently reading through studybass.com, determined this time to learn bass the 'right' way, rather than blindly play tabs.

So there we go, that's where I am, a bassist once again!