1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just a quick question for any of my fellow MetallicA fans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miketallica315, Nov 11, 2010.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Can anybody tell me what the tuning calibration is for Ride the Lightning? It is not 440. Thanks:bassist:

2. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I think it's been about 100 years since I've played anything from that album, but I remember it all to be standard tuning. How did you come to the conclusion it isn't?

3. As far as i know it's all in standard tuning. Any song I've ever played off that album has always been in standard.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They tuned standard but the pitch on this album is indeed slightly lower than 440.
    It could be that they tuned on the flight while recording, or maybe they slowed down the tape a bit to get a heavier tone.
    It is very noticeable on Creeping Death.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    It's kind of like how they don't want anybody downloading their music,

They did it on purpose so nobody could cover it either......

:bag::bag:

I keed, I keed.

6. :eyebrow:

7. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Metallica built the Mothman :eek:

8. Wrong, the Mothman built Metallica!

9. superbeast101

superbeast101

Sep 6, 2010
    I've always been under the impression they tune most of their stuff to e flat tuning, or half a step down. Never really saw the point to it myself. I think the load- re load stuff is a slightly different tuning, and that st. anger rubbish is drop tuned lower.

10. LowFrequencyOne

LowFrequencyOne

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    They're at 450 Hz on that album. Its only a minute difference that most people won't ever notice

11. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Yeah, it's slightly higher, probably 450hz, they speed the album up, so the pitch went up too

12. You don't see much down tuning until the black album and then yes on songs like The God that Failed,Sad But True,etc are tuned half step.

St. Anger doesn't count,even James himself said it's a chore for him to listen to that album all the way through.

I'm going to agree with spade,the mothman probably did make metallica,and consumed cliff's soul.

13. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Eb in real time and sped up for vocal tracking and final product. It is an old trick done in almost all thrash band production studios back in the 80's. It was easier for everyone to play tighter that way. I've heard so many horror stories of the rhythm guitarist playing all the tracks, including the bass, and the lead coming in to do only solos.

14. Argali

Argali Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Man, those guys crack me up. I remember reading about how one of the things that prompted them to switch up their writing styles going in to the Black Album was that they toured behind Justice for years and used to play all of the long songs. At some point James noticed that he would look out at the crowd and they'd be pretty bored. You'll notice that to this day, Metallica does a lot of songs on Justice live as a "medley." :rollno:

15. Can you tell me more about this, with some prooflinks?

16. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    I saw an interview at some point where James was talking about how things have changed over the years, starting with going to a heavier guage of string. Apparently he used to use .009's and the issue he faced was that he hit the strings so hard that the songs would start off in tune and by the end of the song they would be a bit flat. Now he uses 10's or 11's depending on the song.

Yes, Ride the Lightening is NOT in standard E - E tuning, and it's not quite Eb, but it is closer to Eb than E. You're just going to have to tune to the album. Sorry.

17. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY

I thought Sad But True was D standard.