Just a quickie :D

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FreakCM, Oct 10, 2011.

1. FreakCM

FreakCM

Jul 24, 2011
    Croatia
    Hey guys, first of all I'm sorry for opening a thread for such a question, but i haven't found an existing thread dealing with a question like this ;D

The problem is, I am using Hal Leonard's method, and some of sight reading songs are pretty hard for me to catch up with, so i'm wondering is it better to use software to slow 'em down so i can keep up, or it is better to get used to real time playing and play without changing the pace of the song and have some more trouble mastering it in the beginning?? Thanks for you attention in advance, Marin :)

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No need to apologise for asking a genuine question. ;)

There's nothing wrong at all with taking stuff slow at first. That's normal when playing anything new or challenging. Work up to the unchanged tempo when you're ready.

3. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I have had a few ideas to get my sight reading up to par, but I never do them. I will pass this info/idea on to you, and you can hopefully have more success. I did not invent this idea, it seems very basic, but sometimes seems to just elude me... I figure it might do the same for others.

First, forget the notes that are being played. Just look at the rhythm. Count it out. Tap to the feeling of what it should feel like. Do this with a metronome at designated speed. After you have a feel for it. Try the rhythm with just an open string. Just one note. Now feel the groove. Now apply the notes. Break it down by sections. Start with a bar and see if flows into the next bar. Than practice those two bars as one section

It takes a moment, but in the process of doing this, you will just learn to read the music quicker from exposing yourself to it.

4. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    Slow and steady wins the race, I actually just started reading bass clef for the first time in my life, and I'm back to whole, half and quarter notes and just making the note associations even at 80 BPM...

I used to be able to sight read in high school but that was saxophone and the treble clef it's like learning all over again on the bass cleff GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Anyways, if you had the option, get the one that let's you slow it down, great way to force yourself to warm up too if you don't already have that discipline...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021