Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a random thought about the Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I was thinking one day how nice it would be to have the clout of say...someone like Tony Levin...and to call someone at Ernie Ball and have them make me a wide neck 35" scale Stingray5.

On a complete lark, and with no intentions of following through, I emailed Michael Dolan and he said he would do it. But it'll cost about two grand. So...anyone got some spare wads of cash laying around?

2. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Being a college student and therefore have no extra cash on hand, cant say I have the wads of cash you're seeking. However, a 35 inch scale wideneck SR5 sounds like it would indeed be nice. However...my SR5 is just fine. I have small hands, and the string spacing is comfortable for me (I slap better on my SR5 than I do on most 4 strings!) Perhaps it's because my first bass was an Ibanez (also 5 string) with the narrowest string spacing I have ever seen, and I was able to get my technique down solid enough to even slap cleanly on that. So moving to the SR5 was a breeeeeeeeze. Ok, enough of me rambling, hope you find the cash you seek!!!

3. was that 5 string a K5?
    thats what i play, and it has 16.5mm spacing which I love, and can slap fine on

on the not highjacking note:
    myself Id also prefer the narrow neck as I have small hands too ;)

4. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Hey no the Ibanez was an EDB605...spacing probably was even narrower than 16.5mm...I never measured it though. The 17.5mm on the SR5 works great for me though...now I'm just trying to decide if I want a 4 or 5 string Bongo, but I think I'm going to stick with the 5 string...it's what I've always played :bassist:

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The tight scale is reason, I sold my SR-5.
    Great bass, but could not get use to feel of spacing.
    If they made a 19mm, would buy another.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Couldn't agree more, too tight! I would have already bought one years ago if it was wider. I don't get it. Who can play on those dang little necks? Its why I sold my Smith. I'm such a whiner.

7. I can see the advantages that some people would get out of having wider string spacing, but the SR5 is perfect with a 34" scale length. The B-string is clear and powerful as is.

I think that that whole 35" concept is overrated. The sole fact that there are many 34" basses with awesome B-strings and many 35" basses with less-than-average B-strings is enough to burn that argument to smokey crisps.

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Ain't got the Stinray5's mojo.