Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just a story about cops and robbers in NYC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Met a woman at a show last night (a new friend of my guitarist) and we went out to eat after the gig. She had what I thought was a pretty entertaining story, and since I've got nothing better to do at the moment I thought I'd share it.

She was at a bar a few nights earlier, met a nice guy, was hanging out having a really good time, and when she went for her wallet near the end of the night - realized it was gone. She immediately called to cancel all her credit cards and did the responsible things she needed to do. Next day she decided to call the bar and tell them she thinks somebody lifted her wallet there. They say, no problem - we have cameras all over the place, come over and you can go through the evening. She goes through the videos and clear as day she sees the nice guy she met hug her, reach into her bag and pull out the wallet. That's not the fun part of the story though. They really hit it off, so she was text messaging and calling this guy all the next day. He was consoling her about the stolen wallet, she was telling him she was going to bar to look at videos... didn't phase the guy. She in fact said that he had been consoling her the night she realized it was lifted.

So she goes to the cops. The cops love it, say they're really trying to crack down on this kind of thing, and tell her to plan to meet him somewhere. She tells this idiot, WHO KNEW SHE WAS GOING TO LOOK AT THE VIDEOS AT THE BAR HER WALLET WAS LIFTED, to meet her for some wine. He says he has a freind with him, and she says she'll bring her friend - and does. She seemed like a great actress, said she was flirty as hell. The detectives set it all up and sit a few feet away at the bar. She hangs all over the guy and really makes this guy think he's getting some... and ohhhhhhhhhhh he is. She then excuses herself to go to the bathroom, her friend says she'll join her, the detectives walk over and tell him he's under arrest for grand larceny. :) I love justice. His bail was $10,000.

Forgot to mention that when he met her at this place where the detectives were he said, "You're never going to belive this but I left my wallet and all my money in the last bar we were just in." She said, "Don't worry about it, I'll be happy to pick up the tab."

2. Brilliant!

Did you get her number?

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Naah.. I'm like almost a married man these days. Besides, she scared me. :)

4. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    I love to hear about thieves getting caught. It seems to happen so rarely.

5. Love hearing about the stupid ones too...

Guy rents a motel room, robs the bank across the street using hotel stationery. Few days later robs another bank across the street using hotel stationery. Cops notice, take a chance, there's one more bank across the street, check the motel... voila. Preparing to rob the third bank.

Another guy writes a holdup note on the back of one of his deposit slips to rob his own bank. If they were smart, they would have withdrawn the money from his own account....

Recent tragedy near here. Couple of guys carjack a guy at a gas station. He gives up the truck, no problem. Goes into the convenience store. Clerk lets him use the phone, he calls the cops. The carjackers see this, go into the store (where there are surveillance cams) and shoot the guy on tape. Then run the truck into a ditch or something like that, disabling it. Cops were on the way from the phone call, I think they caught the one guy at the scene of the accident, not sure if they got the other guy yet.

Randy

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Good story.

brad cook