Just A Tad of Dirt!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Anyone one know of a pedal that adds just a little crunch to the tone. Makes the bass sound a little more growly?

I've used Sansamps Bass Drivers but I think they suck the mids out and completely alter the sound of the bass.
    Does anyone know of a more transparent, dirt-adder :)

Now I'm not talking about overdrive by any means. But a little grit n' gring n' growl? Anyone?
  2. Can I be the first to mention (AGAIN :D ) that the controls on the SABDDI are ultra sensitive and "backing off" on the Bass and/or Treble controls will BOOST THE MIDDLE. ;) ;)

IME, if operated/adjusted correctly, it most certainly will not "suck out the mids".

Also, the concept of a "transparent dirt adder" is, IMHO, an oxymoron. :D :D
  3. I've owned the Sansamp, twice! It adds something that I dont like and completely alters the tone of my MIA Jazz. Yes, warms it up and beefs it up, but I feel it takes away natural harmonics and the natural voice of the instrument.

Is there a pedal that adds a "textured grit" without complete altering the instruments natural voice?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there are many including the bassdrive, ebs multidrive etc...
    if you look in the effects faq you'll see a link to the od/dist review mega thread
  5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Sparkle overdrive.
  6. yes, i like grit!! what are you saying?
  7. I dunno. :meh:

Must be the sheltered life I've been leading. :D :D :D
  8. do you know of any other pedals or are you just strictly sansamp all the way?

fulltone fat boost?
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    For clean growl check out the Aphex Bass Exciter. Great tone enhancer IMO.

If you want more dirt- Ever tried the Fulltone bass-drive? Its an OD pedal- but you can add a little grit or get a fully overdriven tube amp sound. It does a great job retaining the lowend too.
  10. I own the Fulltone Fat-Boost and it's an awesome pedal but it depends on the amps you use with it. This pedal is rather a booster than an overdrive pedal. It adds a little bit of grit of its own but it isn't much. It works very fantastic with tube amps imho. Excellent for driving your amp a little harder and thus getting real tube overdrive. Works in the same way with tube pre-amps. I always use this pedal to get my sound a little beefier when I play solo.

The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Labs is an excellent pedal when all you need is a little grit. It can blend in some clean signal as well. Works wonderfully on a very clean rig like SWR. I also tested it on a grittier Ampeg and it didn't do that much because of the already gritty character of the Ampeg. (I don't like my Ampeg too clean).

Both the EBS Multidrive and Fulltone Bassdrive will get you excellent tones of gritty bass and it'll stay subtle if you keep the gain knobs dimed by the way. I own both and use'm often.
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know that this isn't likely a practical solution for you, but I was seeking the same thing at one time. I was pretty pleased with what a combination of Boss CS-3 to a Boss ODB-3 did for me; it was nice. But ever since I got a new GK head (700RB II), I don't need the ODB-part of the chain anymore - I still use it, but now it's more for a 'special-effect' fuzz-tone. Now for 'regular' growl, 'it's all in my head'!