Just a thought...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Avidus, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avidus

May 30, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Does anyone else feel stifled by the extremely aggressive moderation of the forum at times? I feel like in the attempt to make this a comfortable environment, we are making it a little narrow... I don't like having to start every thread with, "This is just my opinion, but...", or "I don't mean to offend anyone...". Also, there is all this backtracking after people say something slightly off-color. I think people become a little too offended at times. I'm not talking about cussing or obscene things, we can all understand why there is a need to deal with those things. I'm talking about people getting offended when someone says their amp sucks, or a certain kind of music isn't as good as anothers.

I feel like there is a lot of "Bass Truth Defenders" out there, in so much as whenever anyone says anything that might not be 100% completely true about something, it gets jumped on like, I don't know, seven hobos on a Christmas Ham. I think it's just kind of silly, that's all.
  2. I pay because it is well moderated.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    And this thread is closing in 3...2...1....

4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I can see what you're saying, but I'd rather aggressive moderation than people being at each other's throats all the time.
  5. true...without careful moderation, i can see a talkbass that goes

(in the bass forum)
    post 1. FeNdEr Sux!!!! ***
    post 2. no it doesn't Wishbass is way worse
    post 3. your all wrong, warwick bases are way worse

(in the amp forum)
    post 1. eDeN SuX!!!! ***
    post 2. no it doesn't Ampeg is way worse
    post 3. your all wrong, Behringer is way worse

(in the bassists forum)
    post 1. MaRk HoPpuS iS ThE WoRlD'S GrEaTeSt AnD bEtTeR ThAn WoOtEn!!!! *** lol a/s/l awol ScUbA
    post 2. no he is nothing compared to (insert random punk bassist here)
    post 3. your all wrong, Keanu is so much better!

it seems to me that the mods aren't closing thread because they offend... more to keep an intellegent forum running with actually substance rather than just repeating who the best/worst bassist in history is.

just go to any guitar forum to see what i mean...

6. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I agree with everyone that said they pay the supporting amount because of the moderation. As for starting my posts "I don't mean to offend anyone," this is a good tool to use because posts, like emails, can be taken far from the way you meant them because we cannot see your face. To ensure that my meaning is clear, I go out of my way to preface my remarks.

If you don't like the moderation here, there are other forums (fora?) on the web, but I think you'll find the information here to be of the highest quality.
  7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Where I live I belong to a home owners association. It costs a bit more to live in this area but I think it is worth it. If I want to do anything to my property, I have to apply to the association. I'm also expected to maintain my property at a certain standard. While this can be stifling it also keeps my neighbor from building a 60' pink windmill in his front yard making the neighborhood look all F'd up.
    What I'm getting at is this. Without heavy moderation this place, our neighborhood, would go downhill fast. I think the guys do a great job and I gladly support TB. Thanks for the hard work!

Avidus, I hope I didn't offend you. :D
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well first off we are a Social study or sociology experiment. Really we have all walks of life here at TB. People rich and poor, young and old You need to be nice and mind your manners because what is ok with you may not be ok with me. Is that bad??? No. Is it restricting?? Yes a little bit, but it works.

As far as Modss being hard cases?? They have to be or else this place will fall to crap and become a shoutfest and a wankerfest. If you dont get it then PM. I will explain. :meh:
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    This place is near perfect. That's why I support the place and have been here for 3+ years.

Go check out some other Bass sites, and you'll be back here before you know it.
  10. The only rule that I would sometimes like to be given a bit of leeway with is political one. But that is simply because I love a good argument. Realistically I know that it is a rule that should probably be kept, particularly in light of the current world climate. Thus, I think you guys do a pretty damn good job. Soon enough I'll be a supporting member as my way of saying thanks.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    After having frequented a number of forums, including ones where there was next to no moderation at all, this forum is a huge refresher. After having spent around four years at places like ninten.com (2 years there specifically) where there's no stuff like "omg *** BBQ", people are constantly at each other's throats, the members cry "Nazi" whenever a mod does their job, and then they cry "useless" when they don't.

I've been a member here for a while, but only actively posting since Bass101.com went down (another well moderated, class forum -- if a little small). I can say without a doubt that this is not only the best forum that I've been a member of, but also the best of any forum I've ever even seen. Had I extra cash, I would, without the batting of an eyelash, be a supporting member of this forum. A huge part of the awesomeness of this site is the mods and the great job that they do, in addition to the awesome members on here. Yeah, there's the occasional troll, but overall, this is as close to the perfect forum as I've ever experienced.

That said, I'm happy about the no-political thing. Sure, after the democratic convention, I wanted to talk to people, but I've had debates with bassists before -- people I was friends with, and our political differences caused a wee bit of a rift. It's never a pleasant experience, and it's good to know none of this will, or can happen here. I avoided the off topic forum like the plague for the first few months I was here, actually :oops: .
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

ANother reason to be a supporting member. The lobby is full of debate.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Leigh, if you really want to talk politics, once you become a supporting member, it is allowed in the Lounge.

I support this place, because of the moderation. I have been on usenet for several years, and on just about every bass forum in existence. But I keep coming back to Talkbass, for two reasons. First, there is more bass related information here than anywhere else. Second, the moderation keeps the S/N ratio very low, except in Off Topic. And it's nice that we have OT, so that people who want to post inane drivel can have an outlet. Yes, there are some cool threads in OT also, but most of it is noise.
  14. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm increasingly glad there are no politics allowed on the open forums, by the way.

The mods here rock.
  15. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I think the mods here are fine, as is the rules set TB carries. I don't think I'd make any changes if I (for some bizarre reason) was in charge. Excpet maybe a few more smilies :p
  16. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think I'd probably be more aggressive, but that's just my style. On another board, I banned more people and closed more threads in a month than most of the other mods did in a year.

Iron fisted. It's the only way to rule.
  17. Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    My god that's one of the funniest things I've read in ages. The people seem a bit edgy here sometimes, but it's all for the best I believe. If I could I would support the site more than just word of mouth.
  18. Can you pay using Bank Card?

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think the mods here are doing an excellent job at keeping the forums sane. They have not shut down independent thought or belief on any topic as long as it stays respectful.

I was participating in a somewhat "touchy" thread a week or so back. This thread could have easily been deleted or at the very least locked. The mods did not do either but when asked to help the situation they did. Thats good moderatorating(?).

Anyways, the mods here rock. There are plenty of other forums/boards that have less moderator intervention if you want that sort of board. Me, I'm happy right here :D

Mods, you :bassist: !!!
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - and I dont think it's 'aggressive' :confused:, just sensible, generally.

What is kinda' irritating is people who post controversial opinions, then never come back and reply or apologise when nobody agrees with them....:meh:

Isn't that the definition of "troll".....?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.