just a thought

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by cassanova, Jun 7, 2003.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

Alot of people are complaining about idiots comming here and starting trouble. Like I said on the boards, I wont mention any names, but trolls are poppin up again.

Someone suggested to me that if you want to be a member of the sight you have to pay to join. I think this is a pretty good idea. But utimitly the choice is yours.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Someone know the percentage of paying visitors?

Could possibly get a bit slow here if only supporting members were allowed, and, what would the sponsors think about that?
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    So let it get slow. People will still be able to browse the forums, just not post in them, that means they can still click all the links to the sponsors.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Me too, I was composing my "No to banning M.M." as the thread was removed. He's not that bad. If people could learn to not respond to what they consider annoying or assinine then trolling wouldn't work.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that thread about banishing mike was ridiculous, and that's why i got rid of it. people are banned by breaking the rules, not by committee. the minute that happens, i'm out of here.

this whole thing has turned into a very ugly little dance. if someone doesn't like what someone else is posting, ignore them, give them a hard time within the bounds of the rules or else abuse them in private, via email, away from talkbass. if i get another email or pm from someone suggesting someone else be banned for being silly or dorky but otherwise obeying the rules i'm going to blow a gasket in a very public way.

this crap needs to stop. the fact that a few folks don't like what someone else posts doesn't mean squat, as long as the rules are not violated. some of our more complaining members need to go grab a hobby.

i'm ashamed to say that i too was briefly on the bash mike bandwagon. i hope that my participation in that hasn't tarnished my image as a mod, i would be disappointed if it did.

no offense meant to you cass, but i think it's time to remember that our job as mods is only to make this place clean and tidy for everyone to use. mike has done nothing but press some buttons.

as for trolls, there's not been anything going on that i've seen, and i've gotten few complaints except from a few people complaining about mike. perhaps some folks should take a ride on over to some of the other music boards to see what's really meant by trolls.

this place runs the risk of turning into such a controlled environment that anybody with an ounce of silly in their posts gets frowned on, or worse. let's give it a rest, huh?
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I agree with John here.

And, I don't think that the site should be limited to supporters only.

People come to this site, start posting, and get to realise how great TB is. Then maybe 500 or 1000 posts down the line (or less), many fork out the $20 and get a supporting membership.

If people had to pay to join in the first place, I think most people just wouldn't bother, and they'd go onto some other forum. We'd lose out on people who could have contributed a lot to TB, and also could have learned a lot.

I think the current setup of members & supporting members works very well.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Nothing personal, but I can see many people being more offended by your signature content than by all of MM's posts combined (we have a lot of Christians here)[/QUOTE]

Im a christian & I dont see how my signature could or should offend anyone.

I agree with you JT, but this thread wasnt in reference to Mike Money.

It was an idea brought to me by a couple of other members and I thought it was a good one. Making it a pay site would definatly help keep the site more troll free.

The more important reason I like the idea is that it will help Paul be able to run the site more cost effectivly.

originally posted by John Turner
    no offense meant to you cass, but i think it's time to remember that our job as mods is only to make this place clean and tidy for everyone to use. mike has done nothing but press some buttons.

None taken, but if he intentionally pushes buttons then isnt that going against the rules? I agree that our job is to keep the place clean and tidy, and that sometimes means suggesting that certain people be banned. Like I told ya in PM, Im often willing to stick my neck out and get it chopped off by others if I think some good can come of it.
  10. This is exactly what I think. I'm still quite new here, and yes I consider supporting the site, cuz I love it. But if I had bumped against the monetary wall the first time, I don't think I would have ever come back. Of course some of you would have had a happier life. :spit:

An alternate solution might be to make the site more limited to non-supporting members, maybe with only 4-5 forums, and a limit for starting new threads. This way, newbies won't waste bandwidth by starting threads like "woH iZ beTtaH, FieLdY or FlaE ?"

BTW, FlEa iZ waAaY bEtTAh tHEn fiELdy!!! :D
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Or limit the number of posts to non-supporters to say 4 or 5 a day.

Just a thought.