Just a touch of grit -- has anyone tried the Xotic SL Drive pedal on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bioflava, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Bioflava

Bioflava Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Hi TBrs,

Has anyone tried the Xotic SL Drive pedal on bass? If so, how is it working for you? Does it attenuate the bass frequencies?

If not, please make a suggestion: I'm looking for a compact pedal to add just a bit of grit to my sound...

-nick

2. Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Just trying to bump this thread up... TGIF!

zapped777 likes this.
  3. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Zombie Post Resurrection! I just purchased one. I've got it on the Superbass setting and I find it to be a very capable drive! Not metallic like a lot of drives I find on bass. I'll try and post clips. I ended up purchasing it for $85 used locally.

JediBassKnight and Bioflava like this.
  4. Bioflava

Feb 14, 2016
    Heya -- thanks for the shout! I ended up getting a Darkglass VMT and have been using that to good effect, but alway happy to listen to alternatives :)

jcerio likes this.
  5. beer&bass

beer&bass

Apr 29, 2010
    Cortland, NY
    2nd resurrection! I'm interested in the SL Drive on bass. and would like to here some input on how it sounds. Been also looking into the Mooer UK Gold preamp pedal.

JediBassKnight likes this.
  6. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    3rd resurrection

I'm considering buying one to put in my Bass. Just an on/off switch in place of my active/passive switch, at a preset of a bit of grit.

7. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    Scratch that I just actually bought it. There was one more on Amazon so I went ahead. Might just rock it strapped to my bass strap, like a wireless pack. I think Bryan May from Queen did that with his treble booster.

8. I had one briefly. Unfortunately I just couldn't get enough low end out of it. I had a better experience with the Ramble FX Marvel Drive (especially at 18v)

9. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    Yeah a lot of dirt pedals do that. However I'm kind of looking for that, to a degree.

My Nordstrand pickups have an awesome growl already, I just want something to add a little grit and bite in case whatever amp I'm playing through doesn't break up well.

I play through a low watt tube amp that breaks up nicely but there will be times where I won't have it with me and hopefully that pedal does the trick. I'm not a clean tone guy for the most part. I'd like to make sure I always have access to some grit.

I'm not too picky about my tone, just a little. And having some grit is like my safety blanket lol.

10. You know, I've just not been particularly lucky with Marshall-style overdrives. I had the BAT Revelation (superbass version) and it still left me feeling 'Meh'. Is that what you're looking for, specially a Marshall style overdrive distortion? You could try the tech21 British or the Joyo clone of it. It's got a 3 band eq and it's pretty good on bass (I prefer a few of their other models to the British on bass, but you can't go too wrong with the joyo with the price).

11. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    Yeah I'm a Marshall kinda guy. Grew up playing guitar. Always wanted a JCM800.
    My tube amp is a Marshall/Vox type. And I get a great overdrive from it.

It's the Crate Vintage Club VC2112r

DosiYanarchy likes this.
  12. Let us know how you like the SL drive when you get it and how it compares to your amp.

13. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    Will do. Should be here on the 1st. Only looking for a little hair not a full on overdrive.

I plan on my overdrive coming from a mix of my pickup growl, the SL Drive, and the amp getting hit hard.

14. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    Gain staging is important if you don't want to lose to much clarity and low end.

15. JediBassKnight

JediBassKnight

Mar 18, 2020
    Iowa
    I just got it. I definitely dig it, I messed around with it before swimming and it sounded good, but now after swimming I can't seem to get my bass to sound good at all.

I'll play around with it after work tomorrow.

DosiYanarchy likes this.
  16. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Are you using a blender? I thought low end was a bit weak, but might sound great in a biamp style setup. The ‘superbass’ setting seems to be just EQ adjustment, not a separate circuit as some pedals have.
    I have a few Xotic pedals that I really like (especially the super sweet booster), was hoping this would work equally well in my setup.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021