1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just after a good pop punk/alternative bass tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sk8death26, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Sk8death26

Sk8death26

Mar 30, 2018
    I been fiddling around with my settings for a while now trying to get a nice mid-range punky sound for my rig, Just wanting some recommended settings

I am running a Sansamp RBI into a Ampeg pf500

P bass with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 quarter pounders pickups

The tunning I am using C#

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First step would be to absolutely tune up to standard or drop D at the lowest——
    Secondly, get a SansAmp BDDI or VT Bass and marinate in that late 90’s / early 00’s luster..
    Also make sure to only play a passive Precision, keep in mind that all of this advice is completely period specific here. If you feel like this isn’t going to do the trick, pick up a Gibson Ripper or Grabber on the cheap (!!) and bask in the pop punk goodness.

Matt Dean likes this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you can't get a good punk tone out of a P and that rig, I'd be surprised! No need for a BDDI if you have an RBI. Although personally I would switch out the P pickup for something brighter with more midrange snarl, never been a fan of the SPB-3 and found it quite a dark sounding pickup.

Matt Dean likes this.
  4. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    I think your best bet would be swapping your pickup for one that has a regular p-bass tone. What stings are you using? Strings change alot of the sound and fresh ones could help alot

skydivingninja likes this.
  5. Sk8death26

Sk8death26

Mar 30, 2018
    Ernie ball Power slinky 55-105

6. Sk8death26

Sk8death26

Mar 30, 2018
    Going for a state champs, neck deep sound

7. Rneckties31

Rneckties31 Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Listening to those two bands you just mentioned they aren't using mid rangey tones at all. More mid scooped for sure. and also present in the very high mids and treble with a little bass boosted. Some songs have some slight overdrive too.

The neck deep bass player sounds and looks like he plays a ernie ball stingray/sterling.

I for sure think you should be able to get close with your gear. P Basses with the spb3 have been super popular for pop punk.

Jinglesmeowmeow likes this.
  8. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    thats kinda light for the tuning you play. have you tried heavier strings?

9. Sk8death26

Sk8death26

Mar 30, 2018
    110 to 55 I mean lol