1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just an idea, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I've been thinking of building a Warmoth bass for a while, but I don't want to do a standard J or P because I would rather go to Fender or Lakland for that. What I created was a passive J bass style bass with a MM pickup. I could dub it the "JazzRay". I think it would sound like a mellower, warmer, fatter but still punchy StingRay. Here are the specs and prices:

-Warmoth J-Bass Swamp Ash Body w/ Olympic White / Black / Inca Silver / Lake Placid Blue / Black-Red-Yellow Burst / Clear Gloss / Trans Vintage Tint Gloss Finish & MM Pickup Routing: $370-$395
    -Warmoth J-Bass Maple/Indian Rosewood Neck w/ Clear Gloss / Vintage Tint Gloss Finish: $255-$285
    -Nordstrand MM4.2 Pickup: $108
    -Bayou Audio Custom Harness: $30
    -Hipshot Vintage Bridge: $58
    -Hipshot HB1 Tuners OR Schaller BML Tuners: $60-$75
    -Schaller Strap Locks: $13.25
    -Warmoth Screws: $2.60
    -Warmoth Vintage Round Retainer: $2.10
    -Warmoth Neck Plate: $0 (already have one)
    -Fender ’62 Jazz Bass Control Plate: $17.79
    -Allparts Barrel Knobs: $8.50
    -Total: $925.24-$995.24

What do you guys think?

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sounds good to me, but I'd add a neck pickup, you may not need one though.

3. I've thought about doing one myself but the only thing stoping me (aside from lack of funds) is how to get a P pickup for the neck - I doubt warmoth will do it and I dont know anywhere else to do it. I'd rather not route it myself at this point..maybe after a lot of practice.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    That's certainly something to consider, but I think I would have my bases covered because I have a P and J basses.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats cool.:bassist:

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Do you guys think I could stay faithful to the StingRay tone? Along the lines of this: (4:02-4:22). I fell in love with that tone the first time I heard. I'm guessing he has the preamp flat, and I like passive electronics. All the StingRays I have tried have been brighter, snappier, and more aggressive. The tone in that video was closer to the one I imagine the Warmoth would have.

7. What do I think? I think I want that Antigua Jazz!

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Here's what I think RE: the LH3 Demo video, it confirms my assessment with my Laklands over the years. The Laklands don't sound exactly like the basses it's supposed to mimic but it can fill the same roles, and it does it in one instrument.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    +1, the position of the Lakland of the bridge pickup is too close to the bridge to nail the StingRay tone, but I think it cops a J bass vibe well.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I think it would probably be a cool bass. I'd go with two pickups, not one, though.

11. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    I say go for it! Even it doesn't come out the way you really want it.... you would have learned a lot about putting it together and setting it up..... so its still worthwhile!

12. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I think I'm set on rosewood because the maple neck would have finish over the frets according to Warmoth.

Should I go for Swamp Ash, Hard Ash, or Alder for the classic StingRay tone?

13. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Don't but strap locks, just get a couple of rubber stoppers from Home Depot. They work just as good, and it'll cost you less than a dollar.

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    anyone else have any thoughts?

16. Swamp ash and active pre. 50% of the tone is active pre which colours the tone a lot.

17. I would go with a MM4.3 and wire it like a Sterling with a three way switch (series/single coil with phantom coil/parallel) then tone and volume knob, I guess.

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Ryan

Stingrays are Hard Ash (just pickone up and you will tell the difference)

The funny thing is Swamp Ash is going to be lighter and warmer then Hard Ash.

So you might want to consider a Swamp Ash body.

I'm building a Warmoth MM style now.

However I want that bright grind in your face.
    Even though I'm going with a one piece swamp ash body, I'm putting a graphite neck on it and using a 2 band bart pre (that will be set flat %99 of the time).

I'm going to use the same nordy pickup you are talking about.