1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just an idea...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheBassBoss, Aug 3, 2012.

1. TheBassBoss

TheBassBoss

Feb 17, 2012
    Tennessee
    Okay, I just had an idea that might or might not even be possible. Basically, have a true bypass loop box, with a regular switch and a momentary switch. The regular switch would work as normal, accessing or bypassing the pedal(s) in the loop. However, the momentary switch would be able to create a stutter effect, turning off the effect when the regular switch is engaged, and turning on the effect when the regular switch is disengaged.
    Does/can this exist?

2. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Pretty sure it could. I think Dan at This1sMyne is the usual recommendation for this kind of thing, though I'm not speaking from personal experience.

3. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    Very possible.

4. Totally. It would probably be wired similar to the way multiple light switches are set up.

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Electro-Harmonix Chill Switch. There's even a "deluxe" version called the Switchblade+

Fun fact: the pedal was originally going to be called the Kill Switch, but apparently someone took offense. Hooray for quiet fascism.

6. TheBassBoss

TheBassBoss

Feb 17, 2012
    Tennessee
    The Chillswitch looks like it might work.

7. I think Proco or Radial might have a product by that name already.

8. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    If a piece of gaar isn't named uniquely enough, then it can be hard to defend that name as intellectual property. The word "killswitch" is already a noun, and it means exacty what the pedal would accomplish. There'd be no way to prevent someone from selling an actual killswitch which is labeled a killswitch, and that would muddy the waters if said killswitch sucked a lot.

$(KGrHqF,!h8E8QG2MJQvBPKPCH6Ngw~~60_12.

Changing it to the Chillswitch gives the product a unique name.

----

I like the idea that the company producing the 44 Magnum, 22 Caliber, various Muffs, Bassballs, Steel Leather, Mistress, Switchblade, and so on, would have been stifled from making gear named the Killswitch (later the Chillswitch).

"My uncle had polio, and I object to the Iron Lung!" "We'll pull that right away... but you're good with the 44 Magnum, right?" "Absolutely!"

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds more like a trademark issue instead of a fascism issue.

10. The Boss BF-3 has a "Momentary" mode where the flanger is only engaged when the footswitch is depressed. There are other pedals out there with similary sorts of footswitches, which can be a really neat effect, but for switching stuff on and off quickly I've tried to just get quick with my left foot.

11. Bingo. "Killswitch" is a registered trademark but I can't remember for what company. The only time I've ever seen it used officially anywhere in the instrument world is on guitars with momentary mute switches, and even then it's used as what appears to be a commonly-accepted generic term. In the world of pedals, it is trademarked and not accepted as a generic term.

People are very quick to hang **** on America, more so since the recession hit, but if you think the USA is really a facist country/hate the way things are there so badly, you are more than welcome to move to China, the country those same people seem eager to be the next superpower. You'll have to get used to the heaviest internet censorship in the world, having basically no free speech rights, no right to protest, a criminal/legal system, the corruption of which makes the USA look like a utopia, and some of the worst workers rights standards in the developed world, but hey, America sucks right?

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The Zvex Sonar.

Not a looper, but a hard tremolo that results in the stutter sound you seek. Something I have also been seeking.

13. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Does the person/company who made the pictured pedal own the rights to the name, or is that just something that someone made at home and wrote "killswitch" on?
    The only other "Kill Switch" I can find was made by RMS Audio, although the only trace of the pedal or the company that i can find are some old pages on DiscoFreq's site.

I really don't like the name Pwnzor for a pedal, but even if I had the legal right to make 3leaf Audio change it, I wouldn't. Why? It's irrelevant, and trying to control what's irrelevant just for the sake of controlling it sounds pretty close to an authoritarian mentality.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When people say stuff like this, I picture them living out in the woods in a cabin filled with machine guns and ammo.

15. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Regarding labeling a killswitch as a "Killswitch"... it doesn't even rise to the level of actionable, in the same way one can't suddenly call a balloon a "Balloon" and suddenly expect everyone to respect that as a trademark. A common name is in the public domain, and one can't suddenly lay claim to something in the public domain.

----

Okay, enough fun on the completely off-topic edge. Let's get back to the OP's question.

http://www.ehx.com/products/chillswitch

The EHX Chillswitch allows either killing the signal entirely, having the effect loop cut out when pressing the footswitch, or having the effect loop cut in when pressing the footswitch.

16. Americuh.

If you can't get hold of the Chillswitch, most DIYers on ILF or other forums should be able to do something for you.

17. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I own this.. it's pretty neat.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California

19. TheBassBoss

TheBassBoss

Feb 17, 2012
    Tennessee
    THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed, even better than the Chillswitch.

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    You're welcome. I try to share my awesomeness with others at least twice a day.

Halfway to my quota!

;)