1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just another build thread... Kinda sorta ....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dark Horse, May 9, 2015.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Had some free time today to start a new project, so I thought I'd build a bass that is constructed in the old Danelectro fashion. So off to the Home Depot I went, to pick up plywood and Masonite. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to build, but I settled on a old school P Bass style, but thin line.

Sorry I didn't take more pics, but I wasn't actually planning on a build thread.

Cut the plywood to the basic shape, cut the hollow cavities, etc with a jigsaw, and then glued them up. You can never have enough clamps.

image.

While that was setting up! I cut the Masonite to size. Well, slightly larger than size, so I could route and sand back. I accidentally cut two "fronts".....oops....do I had to go and cut a "back" for the body. No harm, no foul....and I can use the extra front on another build if I decide to. Anyway, I went ahead and clamped the front to the inner bracing, and let that set. Yes, I do need more clamps.

image.

After that set up, I clamped the back on.

Gave that awhile, then unclamped and attached my template to the body with double sided tape and routed to size. Had a little tearout that I sanded out, but other than that it went well.

image.

Once that was done, I filled some of the voids, used a 1/4" round over bit on the edges, and routed the neck, pickup, and control cavities. Oh, and drilled the holes to attach the neck when I get it. That's where it stands now, after one day. Here it is, pictured with a standard 51p bass pick guard. I might go with this, might try to create something different, not sure yet. Lots more work to go.

image.

As for color, I'm leaning toward "copper", as a tribute to its Danelectro roots...but I'm open to suggestions for color/pick guard/etc....

Anyway, I'll try to update as this project moves along, if anyone is interested.

*****************^

2. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in!

Dark Horse likes this.
  3. Subbed

Dark Horse likes this.
  4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Looking good.
    Glad to see you back with a cool project

A-Step-Towards and Dark Horse like this.
  5. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

popcorn is cooked, I'm ready for more!

Dark Horse likes this.
  6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Since this bass has obvious Danelectro inspiration , I'm thinking I'll go with copper, white sides, and a white pickguard.... Inspired by guitars like this: image.

I played around with some pickguard ideas, and this is kinda a "rough draft" of what I'm thinking. It reminds me of the cabronita guard, but the cabronita is already an obvious nod to the Dano. Anyway, I had to design a guard that works with the 51 style control plate as well. Below is my rough idea.

image.

Thoughts ???

7. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I would extend the pick guard into the lower horn a little bit more.

Dark Horse likes this.
  8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I tried that, but it lost a bit of the Dano influence I thought . However, I didn't do a mock up...just a quick sketch. Maybe I'll revisit it and do a mockup tomorrow :)

9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Alternatively you could shorten the lower horn, but that would be allot more work, also if you haven't bought a pickup yet the gfs lipstick pickups have good reviews and would fit the dano vibe.

10. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    My two cents.....With the F hole,control plate,pup and bridge in place, the PG will be needless clutter.

Other than that, it's looking excellent.

Dark Horse likes this.
  11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Funny thing is that I had considered shortening the bottom horn to add to the Dano vibe, but unfortunately it's a hollow chamber, so it can't be done. Perhaps if I build a similar one in the future.

I like where you're coming from

I'm still juggling pickup ideas, but I actually have a gfs lipstick pup in my drawer :)

12. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Looking at the first picture it looks like you could shave a half inch off and still have plenty of wood, it wouldn't take much and if you also extended the Pickguard slightly I think it would look more cohesive.

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The horn is hollow. If I took half an inch off, it'd only leave about a half inch of glued area, which is less than I'd like for insuring long term adhesion of the top to the braces.

I'll try a mockup tomorrow (as mentioned in an earlier post) and see how lengthening the guard looks .

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Could also do a guard inspired by this....

image.

15. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Yeah that isn't very much glue area, darn.
    The other pick guard style could look good as well.

16. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll post a pic of the other mockup tomorrow.... See how it compares

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    After looking it over, I've decided that if I were to extend the pick guard into the lower horn, it would just basically look like a Cabronita with an F-hole. That's definitely not what I'm looking to do. A million people have built Cabronitas, and they're beautiful, but I want to have something a little more unique. I'll keep working on it. image.

18. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    I like the DC styled pickguard. I cant wait to see the mockup! Perhaps you could also use Dano style concentric knobs? Although if you have the one pickup, it might be silly unless they were "Dummy concentric" as in they don't actually move independently, they just look like they do.

Dark Horse likes this.
  19. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I think that's the bingo right there. Perhaps not quite as over-the-top in it's genie-smoke vibe, but something that incorporates the first dano style but covers the control plate area, and avoids too much Cabronitism...

Dark Horse likes this.
  20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I like the guard that curls up behind the bridge.

I have faith, you always come up with something cool.

Dark Horse likes this.