1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just another day in Waco...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well..not just any other day, but the 13th anniversary of the koreshian wackos. As you read this article you can really get an idea on what kind of hillbillies these people are.

Davidians Caught in Power Struggle

image_3331569.
    Caption:Norma Ruhling, 64, saws apart a crape myrtle that stood as a memorial to apocalyptic cult leader David Koresh.

Memorial meeting at Ryan's buffet? Koresh's tree that was to be burned snatched up, tossed in a pickup and driven to freedom? Vows to no longer practice polygamy? Abandoned trailer home?

It has all the makings of a good 'ol redneck feud.

bc

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I still think our SF Cult got yours Waco cult beat...

c`mon, THE PEOPLE'S TEMPLE!!! and JIM JONES!!!!!

those guys were fun, they knew how to party!

Or you doubt that? do we need a poll to find out who's cult is more nuts?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    13 years? It doesn't seem that long ago. Do you have any good Koresh stories Brad?

-Mike

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No. I only moved here 2 years ago. I hear he used to show up and "shred" at Lone Star Music" though. I think Stubi19 may have met him or seen him there at one point.

bc

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I think it's terrible what happened there. Koresh didn't help things along but the .gov should have known better. All over some allegedly unpaid taxes and a chance to show off power for a publicity stunt.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Yes, it's terrible what happened there. Please don't turn this into a political thread.

bc

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    No problem.

How's the attitudes towards them nowadays down there (the Davidians)?

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

You don't really hear much about it. No one really talks about it (except for the news on days like this). Probably have pretty much the same attitudes as anywhere else.

bc

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yay.

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    One of the survivors has the same name as me. It's weird seeing your namesake interviewed on 60 Minutes. My now wife was with me at a pizza parlor when they announced that I was one of the Branch Davidian survivors. We had a good laugh about that one. :)

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Congrats!

bc

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I know this is an old thread, but I recently reconnected with my friend Steve and we used to laugh about this, so I decided to look for a thread to share this story.

I grew up in Waco and Koresh came into String World on the main drag one afternoon that I was there. I think I was in tenth grade so this would have been ~1987. I don't think he went by David then. He was looking at all the equipment and trying it out, talking about all the new stuff and the equipment he had acquired. He heard me playing and invited me out to his "house". He said that he had all kinds of equipment and a PA and had people over all the time to jam. He was really enthusiastic about everything and gave me his phone number and address. After he left, Steve, who gave lessons there, said "Dude, don't get involved with that guy, he's bad news. Trust me."

I threw away his number and his address and forgot about it until Steve and I played in a band together years later.

13. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The story starts off fantastic and then withers away and dies. Next time (or just edit it before anyone else sees it and I'll edit mine as well so no one will be the wiser) just add on an entirely "new" ending. Do it, more people will like you and you'll get more friends. Then you'll be Mr. Popular.

14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Oh well. That's why I'm just Scott in Dallas, I guess.

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Waco and Ruby Ridge. RIP. :meh:

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Be safe Brad :)

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    A few days after the Koreshi's died for their Mad Messiah, my husband and I were travelling on a local highway. At the time, he was a volunteer firefighter/emt. We came upon a wreck that his department had responded to, and we stopped so he could find out if they needed him.

A pickup with a camper shell had overturned, its contents scattered over the road. The driver and his daughter were being transported to the hospital. They were injured, but not horrifically or in a life-threatening way.

My husband and I surveyed the wreckage. A box of business cards had burst open, and the cards were everywhere.

They were Koresh's band's business cards. A box of probably 1,000 cards.

I kept a few, but have since lost them when the wallet I had them in was stolen, a few years later.

That was pretty weird.

Cherie