1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just another tell me what to do thread.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, May 3, 2010.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I want to boost output and extend the frequency range (make it hotter and give me more usable tone options) in my '95 MIM P-bass. I have Chromes now so Im good and happy with my strings. Im thinking new pup, pots, cap, jack and bridge. Im torn between quarter pounders and rio grande muy grande. And between badass, gotoh or the economy bridge on basspartsresource.com. I also dont know jack about pots or caps but I keep hearing about CTS pots, Orange drop capacitors and Switchcraft jacks.

Well, whatcha got?

2. Start off with just pickups.

When it comes to pots, the actual impedance and the taper are what come into play.
    When it comes to caps, it is the actual capacitance that works to sap off the highs.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Rather than doing all that work---with no guarantee of success---why not shop around for a different bass?

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Try a .1uf tone cap for starters. While it seems counterintuitive to "extending the frequency range" you will actually find many more usable sounds with the tone control. But if you're hell bent on changing parts I recommend leaving the bridge alone, try any decent vintage flavored P-pickup and then add a P-Retro preamp from John East: http://www.east-uk.com/

5. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Wow you mean I can go out and spend $1000 to $1500 or more and find another bass rather than spending $150-$200 and change the bass I like the look and feel of already.

:rolleyes:

6. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Rio Grande Muy Grande P bass pups. Any experience with these?

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The most useful advice I can give is: don't change everything at once.

Apart from that I'd try a higher value tone pot. 30 second test without spending any money - disconnect the tone pot, listen to the output - is that bright enough (or too bright) for you?

8. Huh... the MIM Pbasses must be a little different than the USA models. My USA Pbass V is quite a bit hotter than any other bass I own.

+1 to starting with the pickup... The Quarter Pound would probably be a decent place to start, I believe they're hotter output than other pickups (also according to their website). I've never played QP's though, so I can't comment on tone.

I don't think you'll have to mess with pots/caps/bridge if you're just looking for higher output. Like Mohawk said, those will influence other areas of your sound.

If you like the sound/feel of your Pbass and don't want to mess with the mojo, another idea would be to try a boost pedal. Take your sound and just... turn it up. lol

5sg.

9. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks, Ill start with just the pick up then. 'Perneciate y'all.