Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just another thread to show my ignorance...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Sep 30, 2001.

1. I know the deal with the sterling and stingray MM basses

But what's the difference in sound between the two, cause they are pretty similar aren't they?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They are similar, but as far as I can tell, the differences lie in the electronics. The Sterling is basically the 5-string Stingray, but with four strings. It has a switch for the coils, and comes with a 3-band eq preamp standard. The 4-string Stingray comes with a 2-band eq standard (3-band is an option) and does NOT have a switch for changing the coils in the pickup.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The Sterling is also somewhat smaller and lighter.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I own a Sterling but have played several Rays. Tonally, I haven't noticed a hell of a lot of difference. The difference is primarily the construction and the 3 way switch. I actually prefer the Ray neck but am also a guy who will play with a different tone in every tune. Thus, my reasoning for going with a Sterling. Although the tones per phase are not as distinct as they could be. Both basses sound great and very similiar, IMO. I opted for the Sterling for a little (and I stress little) more variety.

FWIW, when playing fingerstyle I prefer the switch in the center position (series)? And for slapping, the switch is pushed all the way up (parallel)? I can never remember the phases and positions, don't really care. I hardly ever use the (single?) postion(all the way down) which is the state a Ray PU is set in for eternity.

5. I can never remember which way the switching goes either - which is parallel or in series. I play fingerstyle with the switch in the down position - seems I may as well have bought a stingray!

I did go through a phase (pun intended!) of using the uppermost position when I wanted a moe trebley sound.

For what it's woth my Sterling is heavier than some Stingrays - 11lbs (including strap, straplocks and dropped D tuning head), and the difference in pyhsical size is minimal.

6. :rolleyes: Puns suck

7. Yea, um, ok.