1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just another "what's the best bass for me" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimoleon, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Zephyr 5

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Darryl Jones 4

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. 44-02

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. American Jazz (IV)

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. L2500 Tribute

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Other, specify what

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. So I've been playing for almost three years now, and I'm looking to invest 900 - 1300 € (about the same in dollars, a bit more) on a new bass. My current bass is Ibanez RD-505 (a five-stringer).

I really like to play funk (both fingerstyle and slap) and my current "main gig" is in a funk band, but the bass should be able to cover a lot of ground style-wise, from rock to jazz fusion. A plus would be if the bass had a sort of a midrangey and aggressive sound.

I've narrowed my choices to the following, so please, help me pick a bass! :meh:

2. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Roscoe LG3005

Killer tone, great finishes, easy on the hands!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

be sure to check out the Roscoe forum here at TB!

at your price range you will have to go used, but so did i with no regrets.

3. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Im would get myself a custom in your circs. Maybe a stammie he culd make you a wondeful bass for that price

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I am in europe too so I understand the technicalities involved in choosing a bass that may not be readily available over here. Both the Stambaugh and the Roscoe are great in their own merits (I own a Stambaugh and I have played a Roscoe). First of all decide if you want to go for used or brand new instrument. If it is a new bass that you are after, from the choices above Both Zephyr and GL are great choices. The Zephyr is on the modern side of things. The G&L2500 (both US and Tribute) is more traditional but it can perform from J sounds to MM sounds and even more modern stuff (more versatile IMHO).

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Dude!
    I just sold a L2000 American made(hadnt done that if i hadnt decided my custom bass would have same style electronics)

And serriously, that is what you want after reading that...

it can jump from P bass to MM, via Jazz to Rickenbacker...(kinda..) its also very midrangy and agressive, it cuts through like a knife, i play in a metal band where there are to guitarists who like to play ALOT, and so do i, but i was loudest and cutted the best through. it can cut through a wall of distortion without problems.

6. Yeah, both look really nice, it's just that I live here in Finland, so there's all kinds of problems with customs and transportation... And most of the people selling Classifieds won't sell to Europe.

I just wish I'd live in the states :meh: (at least when buying gear is concerned)

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Im currently planing with a norwegian luthier called listerud, i think he ships allover europe, i have "All you can put into it" bass thats gonna cost me 2000 Euro, im sure he could work something out for you in your price range too.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    PM send

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    fender jazz.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You have a great bass, practically made for the style of music you play. I would save up for a high end bass and continue using the one you have.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd suggest you consider a StingRay 5. Or, if you can handle the looks, a Bongo. The SR5 has quite an aggressive sound.

Graeme

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jimoleon, are you happy with your five string? If you are, get a four for more slapping and different vibe. I vote for a MIA Jazz.

13. Well, the fifth string is really handy and I've gotten used to it when slapping but the bass is just so poorly built that there's no way to get a good sound out of the b and it's really floppy :scowl:

Plus the ibanez is made of basswood, so I'm really eager to buy a better one