1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just auditioned for a band that really had it together

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Auditioned for a cover band last night. Here's how it went:

1. They sent me a set list with the song title, artist, key and first chord of every song, with notes about intros, endings, and transitions.

2. They rent a lockout rehearsal studio.

3. Their rehearsal room is full of top quality PA and recording gear, all set up and ready to go. Mic levels, EQ, compression etc. are dialed-in.

4. I arrived at 6:45 for my 7:00 audition, and everyone was already there, tuned and ready to play.

5. Vocal harmonies are spot-on.

6. Nice web site, nice big banner with the band name and logo, stickers, t-shirts, gigs on the books.

Now, some of you guys in pro bands may find nothing unusual in any of that, but as a hobbyist / amateur, I gotta tell ya, it was way beyond anything I've ever experienced. It's nice to know that someone out there is doing it like that. Gives me something to aim for.

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And then you woke up.

But seriously... sounds great. Hope you nailed the audition and land the gig.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Sounds like a winner...how did it go?

4. Nice. These folks must love what they do.
    Good luck getting the gig.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    There are LOTS of bands who do it right ... their members don't need to whine on a public forum. ;)

6. Too funny!
    OP, hope you get this gig if you want it because it almost sounds too good to be true!

7. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Good point...

8. I thought it went pretty well. I learned most of their first set, 8 or 9 songs, and we played straight through all of them like it was a gig. I made some mistakes here and there, but nothing horrendous. I thought that was pretty good for the first time, but, you never know who else is auditioning for the same spot. There might find someone with a lot more experience ... anyway, I'll post an update when I hear back from them.

9. ... and they probably don't need to advertise on craigslist for a bass player either, which may be part of the problem I'm having finding a good band to join :D

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    In the Hartford area CL musician ads are useless. Rank beginners, kids, no-talent wannabees, are the rule.

11. Way cool. Best wishes and good luck.

BTW: Do they have good paying gigs too?
    In other words, I hope they make more money than they spend on rent. You may want to ask them how much money per month your share/cost will be for the rehearsal space.

Anyway, please keep us updated and best wishes and good luck.

12. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

Oct 26, 2012
    Good luck mate; I hope you get the gig!!!! We are all pulling for you here on TB!! :bassist:

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    +1

14. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    CL musician ads are useless. Rank beginners, kids, no-talent wannabees, are the rule.

Pretty much the way it is in most places
    (especially here in the Steel City)

15. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    We look closer at the personality and if you can get along, as well as how quickly you can learn. Being an expert player is not as necessary as fit within the band.

16. I did not get the gig.

They were polite about it. They said they auditioned 8 or 9 guys, there were 3 real contenders including me, and the guy they picked is also a very strong lead singer, which was the deciding factor.

I thanked them and asked them to keep in touch in case they need someone down the road.

I'm disappointed not to have gotten the gig, but I have to say, overall it was a positive experience. They're nice guys and they'll be good to have in my network. And maybe one of these days, if I keep going to auditions, I'll get in a really good band ...

17. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    keep at it, maybe theyll suggest you to someone else of quality

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Sorry to hear that. I've lost a couple of opportunities because somebody else was a better singer too, and it doesn't feel real good.

It sounds like you're handling it well though and who knows, if the guy they picked doesn't work out maybe you'll get another shot.

19. simple, get your vox up to scratch invest in some singing lessons and kick butt next time

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

That's ok Jim. You got a fatter phone book and the respect of some nice guys. Keep at it and work on those vocals, man. You know you got the bass. Vocals are key and make you a bigger asset, so, work on the vox.