Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    and it SUCKED! One of the most unorganized auditions I've ever been to, and as they line us all up to go in and play in front of each other, this woman tells us that they already heard a bunch of players yesterday so today is just a courtesy for them to listen to us. But chances are, we won't be getting the gig. Great. So we each literally played about 20 seconds, and then they thanked us and asked us to leave. The judges hardly even acknowledged any of us let alone listened to us. Obviously no one got the callback. I was one of the younger, but experienced guys there like they asked for, but there was a good blend of amateurs who couldn't play at all and NYC session vets with their Foderas and Sadowskys. Yet, nobody got the gig. It was clear that they were going for a very specific "look", but it was a little rude the way they treated us. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to roll out any kind of red carpet for me, but I DID wake up at 6 in the morning to get there by 9 and then sat around till 12:30 to be told they're going to listen to me as a COURTESY! Lady Gaga world tour auditions: FAIL. But good luck to whoever got the gig. I heard the whole band has to "jam-sync" to the track anyway....woops....I don't think I was supposed to say that....

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Music = Life
    Music Business = slow, painful, maggotty death.

...was that my outside voice?

3. There will be other gigs for you and probably more desirable ones too.

4. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Surprise surprise.

5. Big secret, LOL.

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    So, they were looking for the best jam-synch fake bass player? Why would they even have you turn on the amp and audition then to see if anybody can actually play bass? Heck, I can pretend to play keyboards to tracks.

It is a shame that live music performers are a dying breed.

Even though I am sure it would have been good on your resume, better things will happen for you. Good luck to you in the future.

7. Sorry to hear about your bad experience man. Lady Gaga is just a trend IMHO. My friends are all psyched-out about her; just a gimmick in my eyes. Anyway, I got on your website and I'm really lovin' your tone on "Let The Beat Build" by Nyle. Very cool stuff man. Sorry again about the audition.

8. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Man, wish I had that chance... I nailed the tones on "Just Dance" with my deep impact...

Could have covered the keys and bass on that one... Less spending!!!! Hire me!!!!

9. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Don't worry at least you showed up......I agree gaga is today's flavor............still its a great experience....:p

10. great experience.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    That kind of experience can happen for any job. Just take from it and be ready for the next. Keep at it and you will eventually hit.

12. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    sorry for the ignorance, but what is exactly to "jam-sync"? Some kind of playback?

13. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Write it up as experience.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    They have the track pumping in the background already, you just fake-play it.

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I just don't know why you'd want a gig like that anyway. Jam-sync. How boring. You couldn't pay me enough...well...no, you couldn't.

16. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    I have heard a Lady Gaga song. Consider yourself lucky.

17. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not all pop sensations are such a load of dreck - Pink has a fantastic backing band, and not only does she have the band play 100% live, but she also refuses to have any emergency vocal tracks. If she stuffs up, you get to hear it. If she gets tangled in a stage rig, then the band plays 57 repeats until the crew rescue her. Now _that_ is how it should be done at that level :)

c-

18. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Lady Gag gag... 'Nuff said. But, atleast you were there, man.

19. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    In retrospect, it was a great experience, and I'm glad I did it. It was good to see all the big name guys standing around in the same room as me knowing we're all trying out for the same job and seeing all these ridiculous NYC drummers and guitarists coming out. I also now have a sweet connect for these big gigs and hopefully better auditions. I actually just found out from a girlfriend of a famous drummer (I don't want to use his name) has already had the gig for weeks and got her a ticket to a show as soon as he got the gig. But then why would they still be auditioning drummers for days if they already had a drummer from the start? Fake auditions? I don't know that sounds pretty lame, but it would at least make a little more sense out of what went down today....

20. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks dude!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021