Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Truth.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    that they didn't get the callback for the slot

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    lol! true...i hear auto-tune a lot these days. at least sylvia sang. badly, but still...

and ya, the urban cowboy soundtrack really put a hurting on country music for quite a few years.

4. BluesBear

BluesBear

Oct 17, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Actually I think the Urban Cowboy movie/soundtrack HELPED country music. There were a few good songs on the soundtrack. Better than most "con-temporary" movies.
    It especially helped country bands since quite a few clubs jumped on the bandwagon for a few years.
    I was living in Louisville Ky then and even though Louisville was and will always have a relatively strong country scene, after UC, the number of good paying jobs increased substantially.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the problem i had with the whole urban cowboy thing was that all of a sudden it wasn't cool to play country and sound country, and the resulting mish mash in its aftermath sounded, as roy said, like the love boat theme. it's pathetic to think that back then, the big country stars would turn down great new country acts as opening acts because they were "too country." and it was only after dwight yoakam started having hit records that the country came back.

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Sylvia had a quite a few country hits but I don't know why.

Year Single Peak US Country chart positions
    1979 "You Don't Miss a Thing" 36
    1980 "It Don't Hurt to Dream" 35
    "Tumbleweed" 10
    1981 "Drifter" 1
    "The Matador" 7
    "Heart on the Mend" 8
    "Sweet Yesterday" 12
    1982 "Nobody" 1
    "Like Nothing Ever Happened" 2
    1983 "Snapshot" 5
    "The Boy Get's Around" 18
    "I Never Quite Got Back (From Loving You)" 3
    1984 "Victims of Goodbye" 24
    "Love Over Old Times" 36
    1985 "Fallin' in Love" 2
    "Cry Just a Little Bit" 9
    "I Love You By Heart" (with Michael Johnson) 9
    1986 "Nothin' Ventured, Nothin' Gained" 33
    1987 "Straight from My Heart" 66

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ask any country fan to sing one song out of that list ;)

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That's a good ride by today's standards when an Act will be "One (CD) and Done" just like Rock Acts.....

9. BluesBear

BluesBear

Oct 17, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Where those numbers acording to Billboard or Cashbox?
    Cashbox often would show country artists in higher chart positions.

I recall Sylvia (she was considered a local girl - being that she was from Kokomo Indiana) but I don't recall her being that popular. The only hit she had that I can recall was Nobody. I always consitered her to be in that lower tier with LaCosta and such. Loretta, Dottie, Dolly and Tammy were still the queens.
    As I recall, amongst the second tier singers, Charly McClain, Juice Newton, Gail Davies, Shelly West and Crystal Gayle were getting more airplay and selling more records back then. Reba was just getting started.

10. oldbassplayergu

oldbassplayergu Inactive

Dec 19, 2010
    fame............yeah right

11. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Closest thing I heard was Cartman singing Poker Face.

12. That seems so strange now - very 80's in so many ways. Love that chunky mic, the 80's was a period when I remember we seemed to go for the short rifle mics, to condensers, to SM58, then SM57s, then who knows what. Were we lost or just trying to be different?

13. BluesBear

BluesBear

Oct 17, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    The 1980 was when Shure dethroned Electro-Voice for broadcast use.

In the 1970s Shure took selected M546 dynamic elements, put them in a low reflective, neutral dark gray housing and started refering to them as an SM56. Then they took the hand-held, non-shock mounted version (M545) gave it the same treatment and labeled them as SM57s. Then they did the same for the M565s and called them SM58s. Allof a sudden you could go out and buy multiple AFFORDABLE matching mics.
    And thus the near strangle-hold long held by those funky looking, light gray, skinny gripped Electro-Voices was eventually broken.

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I found this out about Slyvia too and I had no idea.

1981 (Nominated) New Female Vocalist of the Year by the Academy of Country Music
    1982 (Won) Female Vocalist of the Year Academy of Country Music
    1982 (Nominated) for Grammy Best Female Country Vocal Performance for "Nobody"
    1982 (Won) Billboard's #1 Country Female Artist
    1983 (Won) "Nobody", BMI Song of the Year For Most Air-Play

Sylvia has also received numerous awards from Billboard, Cashbox and Record World magazines for 13 Top Ten and two Number One records.

15. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    OK, back to topic:
    I went to the Sylvia audition-which was by invitation, now that I think of it since I had to call her management company. There were 40 bass players in line. We all marched in one after the other, played "Your Nobody Called Today", "Like Nothing Ever Happened" and one other tune. I just remember it because Paul Gregg (Restless Heart) was behind me and Charlie "Chopper" Anderson (Reba McIntryre, Thunder, Marie Osmond, Kevin Welch and now the builder of Alien Audio Basses) was in front of me. It's the only Cattle Call situation I've ever been in.
    I've helped audition drummers, keyboards, fiddle, etc. for Jerry Reed, Engelbert Humperdinck, etc. and we always kept it to 8-10 guys tops. It's no more fun when you're listening than when you're playing, BTW.....
    Sylvia was the secretary in Jerry Crutchfield's office, IIRC. Here's another one of his productions from the time. Can you say "The Love Boat...."?:D

16. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I was in L.A. at that time, and Urban Cowboy created a wave that I rode on for most of the next 15 years! People started coming in to the lounge of the seafood restaurant where I was playing in a duo and asking for tunes from the soundtrack album. It wasn't too long before I had a hat & boots, a drummer & lead guitarist & steel player and we were blasting out the Waylon & Willie, Marshall Tucker, Skynyrd and Outlaws. God bless John Travolta & Johnny Lee! :D

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    I was in the SF Bay Area when the Urban Cowboy craze hit. Night clubs changed the decor from disco to country almost overnight. The mechanical bull industry was booming. There was a nightclub I played at in Modesto, California that had a mechanical horse you could ride (on a track) and rope a mechanical calf. One night your playing Night Fever and then it's a steady diet of "Looking for Love".

It did keep the money coming in.

18. Maybe Jim you should have taken up the Double Bass - then at least it has limits - although I suppose you could find yourself playing "Hey Big Spender" and accompanying strippers! For those younger readers - that's all about listening to music whilst wallpapering and painting for a living.

19. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Well, I just saw Lady Ga Ga's performance on Good Morning America. Apparently the best bassist for the job was the keyboardist's left hand.:meh: The band (and a lot of the production) looked like it could have been taken from Cher's Farewell Tour and dropped into 2011 and not missed a beat.....
    Oh, and Madonna called, she wants her stage persona back.....
    At least the Band was spared the Harem Girl outfits on all of the Dancers regardless of gender....:eek:

20. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    LOL. :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021