Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I suspect that they were looking for a particular "look", not a player.

But a good experience to recall later in life.

2. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    for sure

3. Yep, that's the BIZ for ya. I had a rehearsal like that but was told that I was too old......at 36. The guy actually loved my playing but was too into "image" like everyone else in the industry. Now this was a "Christian" gig too but just as image-oriented as any secular gig. That's why session gigs are the best. They judge you on how well you play, not how you look while you're looking like you're playing.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, then....he's all set for the Partridge Family reunion tour. Shirley Jones is still hot!

Riis

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You could pay me instead. ;)

6. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Amen! I think thats how it should be at any level!

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    It was for the "being GaGa's band" reality show,did you see them taping?

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Exactly.

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I believe I have a new signature!

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I'd rather be respected and broke, wich I am, then not respected and make the kind of money that gig will pay.

Lady Go-nad... no thanks.

11. Better off without the gig mate... last guy I saw on TV playing with her was rubbish and his only discerning quality (as far as GaGa was probably concerned) was that he looked like a pop-rock douchebag; just her style.

12. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    One of the first examples of this that I remember was Gwen Stefani's first tour, where she had an all-Asian band that was miming to tracks. Not only that, but they were so far downstage you could barely see them anyway.. I knew the drummer and bass player and they were fairly embarrassed by the whole thing.

13. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    I'm not 100% sure that the band is jam-syncing with a track, but several people at the audition did mention it, and they just flew through everyone SO quickly that it just made sense....obviously had I known that ahead of time I wouldn't have even auditioned, but I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a high profile, high paying gig like that....sure the music isn't the most complicated or challenging, but a guy's gotta pay the rent right?

14. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It's no coincidence that "Gaga" sounds like "caca"...

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I very much doubt that you wouldn't really be playing - otherwise they'd have called in a bunch of models, rather than actual musicians.

Pop music is more of a business rather than music making, and EVERYTHING has to be perfect. My band that I play with, Prototype, has a lot of backing tracks in addition to 7 people playing on top of it. Funny, that in industrial music this is ok, yet in pop music it's not respected? Whatever. It's part of the gig, and if that's what it takes to take a show to the next level, then that's what needs to be done.

Lady Gaga is no joke. She can play, she writes her own songs. She's also very cleverly marketing herself, and playing the game by her own rules. Like it or not, it's popular, and her hard work has paid off handsomely.

16. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Jam -sync , "really" i will see , i will be in Japan on the same card in March .

17. Using backing tracks for ambient sounds or to cover for the lack of a musician is a little different from having an actual musician or singer on stage pretending to play to a recording.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Backing tracks = lame.

Reminds me of a guy I know who thinks he's a musician because he edited a bunch of pre-recorded software clips together to make a song.

19. Hard to take seriously someone who calls herself "Lady Gah-Gah"!

20. i have never heard a lady gaga song! lucky me i think. i heard some one saying lady gaga isnt a lady really! so idk

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021