Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Rankin

Rankin Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Well, man, chalk it up. Makes a good story, too. :oops:) And remember this: Where is the word "music" in the phrase "show business"?

2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    "I would rather play 'Chiquita Banana' and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve." -Xavier Cugat, Big Bandleader, 30s-60s

3. 3rdInstrument

3rdInstrument

Jan 20, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    FX and Amplifiers Buyer, ProAudioStar
    you were the guy with the dreads that played disco heaven for your audition, yes? heard you were one of the better ones. y'all bassists must have played too much music, the guitarists that they liked the best were the young/tall/muscular ones who jumped around playing random bad rock wank out of tune. only place they seemed to be looking for actual musicians was violin and drums. the violinist in my band is a finalist, meeting with the Lady in a secret nyc location right now.
    ultimately, she is a talented songwriter and performer, and she definitely has a vision. and from my own and various bandmates' and administrators' personal experiences with her, she's an intelligent and pretty-decent person. however, she's gotten blown up big by the major-label industry machine who are trying to exert more and more control over what she does. bjork and madonna, in contrast, had slower rises to fame, and as such were in better positions to gain greater control over their careers as they went.
    either way, they seemed purposely more interested in "performers" than musicians at the audition. i heard Joe Flip Wilson (the new MD for the tour, taking Jeff Bhasker's job, the smaller brother in the baseball cap next to the Korean girl at the audition table) telling one guitarist how amazing he was following a painfully out-of-tune tap-fest.

4. they don't play to tracks, her at glastonbury and the band did a big jam whilst she changed costumes (yeah i know you don't like the costumes) and they all got solos which were pretty funky and nicely played.

dunno why they are replacing the band and maybe they will be 'jam-syncing' but she loves her music and i find it unlikely she would fake playing the piano infront of thousands of people.

great artist (in every sense) great tunes, great girl

5. typed mine at the same time as 3rd instrument,

sound crap dude, makes sense i guess

6. 3rdInstrument

3rdInstrument

Jan 20, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Glastonbury was during the Fame tour, with the band comprised of people who'd worked on the album, yes? They actually got to play. The band that was hired after that, for what was meant to be the Fame Kills tour but following Kanye's bounce, and who I undertstand to have just been fired, is the Lettuce-based band, and they've definitely been playing to very loud backing tracks. i wouldn't be surprised if the only actual instrument going through the house for the rest of the tour is the drums.

7. Very interesting. I think that as professional musicians we have to be intelligent, if you go to a Lady Gaga audition you just can't go there looking like a salesman and play your 6 strings custom Fodera, Smith, MTD, etc...nono. If you go to a Lady Gaga audition where they care a lot about they looks, etc, you can do some research online and try to look more-less in the style required (without losing your dignity of course, it's just clothes!!), also you know that they want that "rock attitude" on-stage so you just take your Fender and go to the audition. We all know that as professional musicians we have to be "chameleons" when it comes to our "sound" (you wouldn't go to a Punk-Pop audition with your 6 string Ken Smith would you?), and nowadays, in pop acts you also have to be intelligent enough to realize that you have to look "good" (at least care about it) in order to make it. That's been professional i think.
    What do you think?

8. 3rdInstrument

3rdInstrument

Jan 20, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    in this instance, i don't think anyone really missed the part about "looking the part". the issue is more that they really weren't looking for people who could play, they were strictly seeking a "look". in fact, i suspect they were more interested in people who weren't particularly qualified musicians so they could pay them less (the official audition notice listed salary as "based on experience"). the new team in charge of the "band" are fools. one singer was auditioning with Brown Eyes, album track off the original The Fame, and MD Joe Flip Wilson asked her if she could sing a Gaga song instead. he was quickly corrected...by the other auditionees. this wasn't a case of any musicians being professionally unprepared, this was a case of musicians auditioning for an acting gig.

9. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses
    Hey guys

I was at the audition too. Like Mitch said in his first post, it was kind of lame.

I got the call the night before, so I crammed her whole album into my head in a matter of hours before I went to sleep. Must have played through it at least 4 or 5 times on bass and Moog... enough so that I woke up during the night with her songs in my head.. Poker Poker Poker Poker Poker face etc.

There were some familiar faces at the audition. It was great to have friends there... kinda took the edge off a bit. Really the biggest thing for me was waiting around for 2 hours before being given the opportunity to 'audition'.

When that finally came it was pretty underwhelming... playing for 30 seconds in front of a 'panel' of experts. No tracks, no drums, no nothing. Just bass. Awesome.

Maybe I should have jumped around a little more... not sure. Who knows really what they were looking for.

Like others have said... really the best thing about it was seeing the other musicians there and being part of a group of people who do these kind of auditions. Some very heavy players there... especially drummers/keys players.

Lex

10. Wow, that's awful, well maybe as 3rdinstrument said "this was a case of musicians auditioning for an acting gig".

11. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Definitely.

There were a lot of feathers and makeup.

Just not on me!

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I told you who they were looking for! My man, Token, got the gig! ;) :D:D:D

13. I would have just kept playing after they told me to stop.

14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I would have done it in a heartbeat. I think her and her music is pretty good, she is very talented. To me she's taking up the showmanship extremes where Madonna and Bjork left off...nothing wrong with that.

But for a chance to get an international-level tour like this on your resume would be worth it to me, because all this does is open doors for work/tours with other artists later...no one says you have to stay forever, and obviously they don't keep anyone for too long. Perfect stepping stone if you ask me.

Of course knowing full well this was auditioning for image, what would interest me would be what were candidates wearing? Were people showing up in plain jeans and Tshirt looking like slobs, or were they actually putting an effort to their looks?

15. :D

Interesting. I wonder why an artist at her level (HUGE sales) would do a cattle call. Doesn't make sense. Wastes everyone's time.

16. 3rdInstrument

3rdInstrument

Jan 20, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    easy. cattle-call increases the likelihood of finding an unknown/unrepresented musician who would be grateful enough to get the gig that they can be severely lowballed. also increases the likelihood of getting non-musicians who won't complain about being hidden behind a screen or playing at low volume along to backing tracks. also, more money for Gaga to owe Interscope (admin costs for running the auditions in LA and NY, etc), and keeping Gaga indebted to Interscope is definitely in Interscope's best interests.

that said, apparently Swiss Chris is up for the drum spot, and i know he don't come cheap.

17. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    LOL Got me a new sig! Danke!

18. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    He's actually the one that called me about the audition, as we work together alot.

I spoke to him afterwards and he said he got a callback... will see what happens today.

19. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    In a case like this, I'd think they'd go for the best looking player with dance moves. Kinda like Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" video.

20. lycanbreed7

lycanbreed7

Dec 19, 2009
    In case no one else has said it, let me be the first. Those of you who would consider this gig shame on you. I've only listened to a couple of GA GA's so called songs. It's crap, nothing more. Some of the first posters had it right shes nothing more than the latest fad with an enormous amount of shock value. She will never last. With that said, some of you suggest doing what ever it takes to get the gig, how sad.:rollno: Play it from the soul brothers and sisters, be yourself not something your not. Other wise your just selling your soul to the devil. And after seeing a lot of these "POP"music artist these days, did you really expect anything different from a lady ga ga audition?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021