Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you know what ? her money is as green as anyone else's. if she's payin', I'm playin' :bassist: It's a job, like any other, simple as that.

2. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    lycan, i would play jesse's girl a thousand times in a row if somebody was paying me. to even suggest that someone should not take such a high profile gig is pretty dumb.

3. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Well that was rude.

4. CTbass613

CTbass613

Nov 20, 2009
    Connecticut
    where you find these auditions?

5. Rebecca

Rebecca

Sep 7, 2009

I actually like Gaga, but I hate the idea of fake live shows. If they can't really be live, then own up to it and not ape it.

How common is using jam-synch? Is Pink the norm for the big pop productions, or is Gaga?

6. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Oh no, not another "if you play XYZ, you sold out" advocate.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yep! Another person that needs to build a bridge, and get over themselves. :rollno:

8. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses
  9. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    HAHA WORD! and yes, that was me with the dreads who played "disco heaven"....and I'm glad the word on the street is I didn't play it too poorly! haha like Lex, and thank god he was there cause I would have been bored out of my mind if he wasn't, I also just crammed some gaga tunes the night before and even taught myself how to play a few super easy lines on synth! I also swapped out my 3 year old set of TI flats for some old DR rounds to get "the sound", but in retrospect I think that was a bad idea.

It's disheartening to think about all the negative aspects of the corporate music machine, and then witness them unfold in front of you in real life. But, like everything else in music, it's an experience, and I'm glad I did it. Now I have an idea of how other auditions like this might go, and maybe I can be better prepared next time, or at least find an audition that I have the "look" for haha....for now, I'll just stick to all my gigs that I KNOW I have the look for!

And Lex went first, so I knew if they weren't diggin the LEDs in the white Warwick, my old P-bass and dreads didn't stand a chance! haha

10. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah Mitch I really thought I'd wow them with fancy lights.... but no.

NEXT!

11. Just an experience - nobody died did they. Chalk it up. You turned up on time, ready to go, sounds like you were the pro and they sound like duds. You're probably better off not doing this - if it's like this before you start, imagine what it's like once they get you on contract. Ooer! I think you've had a lucky escape. Get the contacts, numbers and emails of as many guys you can at the audition - stay in touch but don't chase anyone - if you know what I mean. You'll find being a nice guy, helpful to others, sympathetic and generally developing into the 'first call' bass player you can become, will do you more good and sustain you throughout a career more than getting this this crummy gig. Do a good job, be great company and helpful where you can, and chase the work yourself - don't wait for the call or do these huge auditions - it's a losers game. That way your in the driving seat and won't ever become a 'victim' of the system. It's tough out there - you got to look after yourself and your friends.

12. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Lex, I can't understand how a player like you wouldn't get a look in, just doesn't make sense to me. Just makes me think they weren't actually looking for people who could play their instrument.

I couldn't bear to do that gig, I despise Lady Gaga and her music. Insipid, watered-down version of Madonna, and I couldn't bear to have to even learn that stuff, never mind play it night after night. Even the paycheck couldn't console me. But of the two of them, I'd pick Pink; she's hotter, music's a bit better. Only thing that bugs me is, like Eminem, every song is about how her marriage falling apart, how crap her life is etc.

Yeah love, I'm sure it is.

13. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    I would have liked to audition to that gig, i kinda like GAGA, i like money and new experiences. Besides, hanging out with high caliber musicians had to be fun...

14. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hey Eddie mate, thanks for the compliment!

I'll be curious to see what happens...

15. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    yeah..what he said

16. Lex

Lex

Jun 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    I had a referral from Swiss Chris

17. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    my friend plays for fabolus and gave me the email of some woman who works for Lady Gagas management. I emailed a resume and 4 photos and she emailed me back with an audition time, the location, and what to play/wear, etc.

Although I know Lex didn't submit anything before-hand, and none of the other bassists showed up with resumes (that was pretty funny), so I guess it didn't really matter, as log as you were told you could audition. Lex and I auditioned on the second day and there were only 7 or 8 bassists. My friend from Fabolus' band played the first day and said there were maybe 25-30 bass players....so still, not too many people heard about it I guess

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ah, Swiss Chris. An "interesting" bloke, but a helluva drummer!

19. BassFriend

BassFriend

Jan 20, 2010
    So I just had to register and post a response to this discussion because my friend went through the auditions and it ended up being a complete waste of time! He made it to the finals only to find out that the bass player had been preselected from the beginning - he had sat in on the other auditions and seemed to know the judges. Hardly anyone who made it to the finals "dressed the part" - dudes just wearing hoodies and jeans. They all seemed to be real musicians - just pre-selected ones! To top it all off, my friend received an email congratulating him on being selected as a finalist for the band - which we found out later was sent accidentally!? The auditions were all just a formality and a waste of real musicians time and talent. I just hope everyone can learn a valuable lesson from all of this!

20. Sorry to hear. Where did you find out about the audition?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021