Just auditioned for Lady Gaga's 2010 world tour....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Jan 19, 2010.

1. lycanbreed7

lycanbreed7

Dec 19, 2009
    Well maybe I came across as rude but oh well. I'm not trying to pee in anybodies wheaties here, I'm just saying you all acted so shocked at what they might be looking for. As selling out, if your into that kind of music then so be it (if that's really music). I actually think Pink is pretty dam talented, that girl can sing. And I am set in my ways, I bend for NO ONE except my kids. I'll make my own way or no way. Besides from a link another poster put in Sylvia Gordon wasn't liking the way things where jiving and bailed. I don't see anybody ripping her.

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    hey it must have been cool just to show up.

where was the gig advertised? Craigs List?

you never know, rumor has it that the drummer from AC/DC answered a Village Voice ad..(local music paper in NYC)

I would have liked to go just for the experience, but I am not a pro by any means

allen

3. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    In the past my bass-playing buddies and I would joke around and ask eachother, "What if Britney Spears asked you to play bass in her band?" Of course that was meant to mean what if you had the opportunity to do so and if you did, would you do it or would you turn it down? In this case it seemed more like what if you were asked to audition for a band where the position was already filled and it would basically be a big waste of your time but hey, you should be honored to even be seen by these judges! Give me a break. Most of my friends answered the first question with a yes, basically saying that you'd be crazy not to. My personal musical tastes aside, it seems like these divas (and their management) find band members very much expendable and that's one thing that definitely keeps me from taking them seriously enough to wait in line. I could care less how many people get to see me on the TV or how many records "we" sell. If the fashion and theatrics far outweigh the musicality, which is the way things have been going for a while now, you can count me out. I'll be happy to uphold my musical integrity while playing with "lesser-known" artists and still have the time to lead my own band.

That aside, my good friend auditioned as well and said it was pretty lame. Apparently someone messed up and accidentally sent him a "Congrats Finalist" email that he wasn't supposed to get. I don't know who's running the operation over there in Gaga land but they need to step up from this JV ****.

P.S. Just heard from my buddy and he said that the band is made up of mainly gospel players. Kind of a weird result when the email he got set the expectation of a NYC/electro feel.

4. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    :hyper: :eyebrow:
    It is quite easy for me.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    lady gaga is a butterface.

6. im sorry to hear that man ,kinda like when i didnt get hired at costco last week for not having experience.

7. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    thanks for the info....it certainly makes a ton of sense if that is the case....what a shame....and a MAJOR waste of time

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    someone's got a crush

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You can dig ditches, or you can play bass. I choose bass.

11. Myself, I think that Lady Gaga's half overwrought pop-tart and half sh*t sandwich. but for a pro-level gig, I'd swallow the bile bubbling at the back of my throat every night and use it as a springboard towards better work.

12. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Makes perfect sense if local NYC papers make it all the way to Australia.

13. +infinity

Some people have WAAAYYY too much time on their hands.

14. 3rdInstrument

3rdInstrument

Jan 20, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    FX and Amplifiers Buyer, ProAudioStar
    like i said, we'll all know more tomorrow...
    official word is Kanye took the band back from Gaga (as at least Jeff was originally slated to MD for Kanye on the Fame Kills tour and i know Shmeeans has also done work for KW), and no firings were involved. the new band is nearly all pros that we've all heard of, bass in particular was a foregone conclusion. don't want to say too much else out of respect for my friend's new gig, but i did want to at least clear up any hearsay i may have contributed to.

15. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Not to be rude and your entitled to your opinion but I have to ask you;Have you ever made your living solely from music?
    It's very easy to say what you wouldn't do from the comfort of a day job (although these days there's not too many sure-fire straight gig's)

I checked out the other link and got the impression she got fired or it was a mutual decision that it wasn't working out

16. but-but-but-butter face?

17. Everything looks good, but-her-face......or butterface.:D

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    not ac/dc...kiss. but they were a far cry from famous at that point.

muh muh muh muh muh muh muh mah but-ter-face...

19. dponbass

dponbass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    New England
    I helped a friend do sound years back for Shinedown and a few touring bands near their level. Shinedown is the real deal talent wise by the way and they are not my style of music. He can really sing... anyway, one of the openers had "their own soundguy", fine plugs in his own sub-board, etc. Then, they wheel over THE RACK and plug it into a channel. Before you know it, there are all kinds of instrumentations and vocals coming from the mains. My friend and I looked at each other and laughed while people in the crowd kept saying "Wow, they sound like their CD, they are great!" Clearly they audience had no idea they needed 12 more people on stage to even come close to pulling off what they were hearing. Their whole set was time and played to a cd essentially and no one had any idea. It's the sad fact that if the audience doesn't care/notice and the "artist" rationalizes it because it's easier I suppose, then that's what you get. Disgusting, yes.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i agree. i'm absolutely sick of bands that don't play onstage. i didn't care when it was just marginal talents like madonna and britney doing it, but now everyone's doing it and it blows.

therefore, i think you should spill the beans on who it was and not do this anonymous stuff.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021