Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just back from NAMM - the horror, the horror

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jan 22, 2001.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hi all,

spent a few hours at the Anaheim Convention Center yesterday.

hit most of the bass manufacturers. everyone was friendlier than i could ever have expected.

some GREAT players there for a sunday.

met joe osborne (lakland), gary willis (aguilar).

saw matt garrison (fodera)....jeeeeeezus!!

ran into the boys from la bass exchange...i hear they are having a master class at the store TONIGHT with willis and garrison...$40 a pop, with only a few tickets left!

took pics, got some nice poses, but a lousy camera yielded less than expected results.

i'll post some on my site as soon as i can.

fred

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  3. Dude, nice photos of NAMM. Thanks, really enjoyed looking thru them, btw, who was the guy putting on the red Spector about 2/3rd s the way down? just wondering.....

thx again!

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Sorry about that! I need to get in there and finish labeling the pics I guess! The guy with the red Spector is Quintin Berry out of Virginia Beach, VA. He's a smoking player with a very unusual way of holding the bass when he plays. He mostly plays it in this position:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=637760&a=11128406&p=38835564

I'll get in there and make sure to label all of the photos!

5. wow nutty photos. I'm disappointed tho, not in you guys but in my country/home state. Why can't my state of South Australia put on something like that? A bass convention of some kind?? its so sad how we are hung up on old foogies who like their wine festivals and cycling.......

Yes i'm bitter today! lol

Merls

6. OK i was browsing round the photos and well hmmm...

Nurse! oh Nurse, i need another sponge bath!......

Its the 5th one you've had today....lol

[​IMG]

I definately need to go to one of these conventions! :p

Merls

7. where do you get tickets for one of these shows, and what do they cost

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    NAMM is not open to the public.

You have to be in the "BIZ"...and prove it!

Non-member cost for ONE show is $100.00.

Cheaper to become a member for $150 and get 4 badges as well as the many year round benefits.

f

9. Nice pics....of the girls!!! I'm jealous for sure!!!
    Dude, Quinton is from my hometown of Virginia Beach,VA.Wow what a trip.He is a phenomenal bassist.Did he play?Man,wish I could've been there!!!I imagine the G.A.S.would've killed me.

10. Dude,I am so backwards.First I post my less than 2 cents worth,then I look at your picture of Quintin.Duh!!!
    That's what I get for looking at those honeys first.I'm goofy...nevermind.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL....yeah Quintin played his butt off at the Spector booth! He's so cool! I even caught Jeff Berlin watching him play from a distance.

12. Woah!!! What a compliment for Quintin.I'd probably drop a load if I knew Jeff Berlin were watching me...Yikes!!!

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL yeah I agree! I don't think Quintin saw Jeff watching him. Jeff was watching from above (no pun intended). He was on the balcony on top of the Dean Markley booth looking down (again, no pun intended). There is always a huge crowd around Quintin when he plays at the NAMM shows. Not many people noticed Jeff up there but being the "Media" type that I am I generally look around to see who's in the crowd at such demonstrations and watch their reactions. All I can say about Jeff's "reaction" is that I wouldn't want to play poker with the man.

I can top your "dropping a load" analogy...check this out! I stopped by the Polytone booth and was talking to Carol Kaye about her recent switch from playing an Aria Steve Bailey bass to a Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe. She hands me her bass and says "Here check it out yourself". I felt a searing hot flash of terror run up the back of my neck but what could I do??? I had to play her bass with her standing over my shoulder and a rather large crowd standing around. (Gulp). What else could I do???

I survived the experience and she was very gracious and didn't even snicker in the slightest bit. She did rather forcefully correct my left thumb position on the back of the neck in true "Bass Instructor" manner but all in all she was very kind.

At least Quintin is a "player" and not a total "hack" as I am!!

14. I wish I could go to the NAMM show.I got to view some more of your pictures and became somewhat envious.You got to meet and "follow up" with Carol Kaye.No pressure here.I also saw the Misfits in there and somemore celebs.Man,I love being a musician.I'm very stoked for your good fortune.
    A free lesson from Carol.Cool.I haven't heard you play,but I doubt if you're a hack.You got schmooze with the stars!!
    I might be hired by Mars Music in February,who knows,someday I might find myself in Annaheim.Looking forward to more of your stories!!!

15. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    You guys are probably going to throw your shoes at me, but I had a chance to go, but I didn't because I don't have a car. My brother was going to score some exhibitor passes to this show from his buddy at work, but everyone was to busy to give me a lift. That sucks! And he told me that with these passes, you of course get the exhibitor privileges of going into the show before anyone else. It worked in Vegas a few weeks ago when we went to the Adult Entertainment Expo, but that at least was planned.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Ok I just gotta ask..."What was it you were "exhibiting" at the Adult Entertainment Expo"???

17. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    I was "exhibiting" the fruit of my loins...Shoot, I wish. All I did was drool and take a lot of pictures of half naked ladies. Gotta' love em!