1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just baught a Sqier VM fretless!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JebSmells, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    I had become sick and tired of hearing everyone on here rant and rave about theirs so i went and tried one out :p

Put a deposit on and will get it with my next paycheque.

Couldn't believe how amazingly it played! and it was so light, the fretboard is amazing as is the neck in general, the pickups.........

Cheers guys! :hyper:

2. That's what it's all about matey!!! Makes no difference whether someone else likes or loathes your instrument. What matters is that you have found something that makes you want to "pick it up and play it"!!!!

I am sure you'll have a lot of fun with your new instrument (and incidentally - I too think they are pretty cool!!)

3. I did the same thing...and MAN does that baby play! I pick it up more than my Fender MIA JBass now!

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I bought one too, and I love it! You've made a good purchase there!

[​IMG]

5. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It's hard to believe that for so little money, you can get that much bass.

I added a pickguard, ashtray and neck p/u cover to mine. I'm a sucker for chrome. :smug:

Squier016.

6. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    damn that looks killer, those ashtrays sure look pretty on the squier vm serie asses, got em on my vm p too

7. abbasid

abbasid

Jan 13, 2008
    Martinsburg, WV
    I've had my VM Fretless for a year now. Love the ebanol fretboard! And the pickups were alot better than I expected. All in all it's a great bass for the money.

I'm think about getting the VM Jazz now. Plays just as well as the fretless and the natural finish with the maple fingerboard and block inlays look sweet.

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Once I get a full-time job, I'm buying one. I need a J in the arsenal, and this outperforms every other one I've tried.

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu

seems like somone in fender must have dropped a bollock.... i can imagine talk in the boardroom ..."nobody is gonna buy our custom shops and mia with all these top quality chepo squires flooding the market".:(

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I love mine two, worth twice the price!!

11. Haha! Well I don't think the seymour Duncans in the squiers are anywhere near as good as american Fender Pups IMO...but other than that...:bag:

12. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I like my VM Jazz a lot. It's the fretted one, btw. Only problem is the bridge is mounted incorrectly. It's about 1.5mm out of alignment and to be honest I'm not happy about that. I intended to replace the bridge with a Badass but I cannot use the existing screw holes.

Other than than, there's really bad fret buzz on one fret high up the neck. I haven't ruled out the possibility of a bad string (still using the stock ones) but I have some DR Black Beauty's in the post, so we'll see.

Overall, great value for money, but I have to dock at least a point or two for the slightly less-than-great construction. Pickups are decent. Neck is fast. Looks good. Mine is only a 2-piece maple body.

13. I bought both Squier VM jazz basses. Like them alot but they took considerable tweaking to make them playable.

14. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I played the fretless at a GC yesterday, and it played very well but sounded quite thin. The fingerboard was also all chewed up from roundwounds, which I thought ebanol was supposed to prevent. However, for the price it was a smooth player and with a little investment in upgraded electronics it could be a very nice bass.

15. +1 on the rounds

For the love of god Fender, please sell your fretless basses with flatties as stock! :(

16. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    When the VM fretless first hit the market it shipped with flats. No idea why the went to rounds.

17. Cost probably :(

I've got flats on mine now and I love it even more.

18. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My experience was the same. I liked it, but it seemed very thin when I had the amp EQ flat. I had to boost the bass almost to 100% to get a tone that I liked out of it.

19. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    that's a squier!?

20. Affirmative! :D

That one is a beaut, can't wait to get a tortie PG for mine.

Also +1 on the tone, I always have to EQ it whereas my MIA J bass I don't have to to get a good tone. Still, it sounds fantastic when you know how to get what you want from it :D