1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just beginning.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnAverageJoe, Jun 8, 2007.

1. AnAverageJoe

AnAverageJoe

Jun 7, 2007
    Tried posting this in an older thread but it seemed to be overlooked, so...

I'm interested in buying an electric bass. It will be my first instrument owned.

I'm looking for something under or about $300. I want it to be playable with what it comes with, no need to change out the pickups because they're **** or anything like that. And I want it to look decent.

My musical tastes favor metal and rock, so something good for those styles is desired. But I imagine basses as being pretty versatile. I don't have a play style decided on, I'll prolly work on figuring out picking and finger-playing styles.

I was looking around at "Beginner Bass" recommendations and after editing lists with review information and looking at a little of the selection in my area, I'm thinking maybe an ESP B50, or an Ibanez GSR200.

My only real issue is that I ****ed up my left hand ring finger as a kid, so I'll need to find a lefty bass, and they appear to be a good bit less common.

Bass people, assemble!

2. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    Welcome AnAverageJoe. I had a similar situation happend to me 9 years ago. A car accident left my left wrist mangled with about a pound of hardware permanently installed in my hand/wrist. Anyhoo, I too had to learn to play as a lefty, and I found it to be not as difficult as i had imagined. As to lefty basses, my first was a Schecter Omen 4 which I still have and found it to be really nice, no need to upgrade anything really. I'm sure other "lefty's" will chime in shortly and I know a lot of them have Schecters also. New they go for around $399 I believe, but used I'm sure you can pick one up in your price range.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It is my understanding that Wish basses are the favorite of those who use "prolly" in their posts.

4. AnAverageJoe

AnAverageJoe

Jun 7, 2007
    Interesting looking... but it's prolly not what I'd want to go with.

I've seen a few lefty starter kits, but I plan on sticking with this and I imagine that a bass included in a kit would probably not be something that worthwhile, or with much longevity. Not all of them look that bad though.

An example: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/bass/bc300.htm

Would you particularly advise against such a package?

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You should look into SX basses. They have a bunch of models well within your price range and all are playable right out of the box.

Also look into the Yamaha RBX series. They are great basses for the money (a step above the SX basses for not much more).

6. fhbandy

fhbandy

May 22, 2007
    Boston, MA
    +1 to SX

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Go to Musician's Friend and shop online. Free shipping!

8. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    You might want to look into the squier basses, especially the vintage modified ones... they are under $300... I am looking at a back-up 4 stringer, and I am quite drawn to the Peavey Zodiac BXP? It comes in a cool vintage butterscotch color, or tobacco sunburst... This one is about $380... If you want to burn a little more money for a better bass...

9. AnAverageJoe

AnAverageJoe

Jun 7, 2007
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing wrong with any of those basses. I favor the Squier myself but they're all decent startup basses that can actually be used professionally. As for an amp, for just playing in your room, a little 15 or 20 watt amp is plenty. You won't be able to shake the walls, but it's good enough and small enough to start out with until you get ready to play in bands. Amps like that are usually under $100. Strap...you can spend $6 on a cheap one or $1000 on a custom-made strap. But they all hold your bass on your shoulder, so what you spend is up to you.

11. If you like Metal I'd say the Ibanez will surely look the part with that purty Trans Black finish.

12. I sent you a Pm check your Box :D

13. My 10 watt peavey shakes the walls haha

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I stand corrected.

15. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You may want to look at used gear, as well. Perhaps look at the classifieds here, check evilbay, maybe your local craigslist?

Granted, looking specifically for a lefty may make it harder to find something, but, generally, you're going to get a better instrument for less that way.

For what you're looking to spend, you could probably find a used made in mexico Fender P or Jazz. That is a bass that would absolutely last quite some time.

When I started, I got a great deal on a used Ibanez SR800. I still have it, and play it once in a while, today (more than 10 years later).

Edited to add: From the basses you posted, I, too, would go with the Squire.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021