1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just bought 3 mxr pedals from ebay...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    - mxr envelope filter
    - mxr octave deluxe
    - mxr carbon copy delay

i am looking into information of products that can power those pedals. i do not want individual connections or cells! so far i have found 2 options:

- DUNLOP DC BRICK POWER SUPPLY
    http://www.thomann.de/pt/dunlop_dc_brick_power_supply_eu.htm

this is expensive but i am sure it will work with those pedals. the only downside is that i want to buy a power brick to draw its power from a power conditioner (using an IEC power cable). this model does not have that connection available because it is powered by a Dunlop ECB06 AC power adapter. :(

-HARLEY BENTON POWERPLANT
    http://www.thomann.de/pt/harley_benton_powerplant.htm

this one is a lot cheaper than the mxr brick and has the IEC connection i want! the thing is, the pedals in the users manual say this:
    Envelope filter
    current draw: 6mA
    power supply: DC 9Volt

Octave deluxe
    current draw: 14mA
    power supply: 9VDC adapter with 5.5mm x 2.1mm positive barrel & negative center

Carbon copy
    current draw: 26mA Max
    power supply: Dunlop ECB-03 9V DC adapter with 5.5mm x 2.1mm positive barrel & negative center
    the harley benton is advertised as

will the harley benton be ok for me to use with the pedals? if the harley benton is OK, then i will buy it. can anyone confirm me this? if not, is it possible to power the dunlop dc brick with an IEC power cord instead of the official Dunlop ECB06 AC power adapter?is there an adapter of this?
    ~http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-ECB006-Barrel-18V-Adapter/dp/B0002GUHPU

2. It's pretty simple.

You just need power supply that exceeds the mA draw of your pedals combined, and make sure they all use the same power type (the majority of pedals use 9v DC with a negative tip, but double check first).

With those 3 pedals, any 9v adapter with a daisy chain will run them simultaneously, no problems at all.

3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    thanks for the tip, but i am really considering the option of a power supply.. like i said, i want to get the power from a power conditioner so no 9V adapters.

the only thing i am afraid is if it will introduce noice in the signal... i am reading about these power stations and some fellows are reporting hum and hiss problems from both the HB and the dunlop brick as well... :(

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Satisfied on the results with the Furman M8-X and daisy chain. My chain is a custom version that accomplishes the job like a 1 Spot.
    We've got florescent lighting in the basement/music room, too!

5. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    just saw the voodoo iso5 characteristics... have decided and will go with that one!

thanks

6. Same thing dude ;)

7. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hi Cesar! Congrats on the new purchases!

All your MXR pedals combined will consume 46mA according to the specs your provided... therefore the Harley Benton provides more than enough juice for them (more than 10 times your requirements actually).
    I would go with that, Thomann gives you 30 days to return the product for a refund, so you can just get it for trying it, and if the results satisfy you, you are good to go. I don't see any reasons of why you should have any noise problems ;).

Best Regards

Doug.

8. There is nothing to be afraid of with a 1-Spot. As long as you're not using multiple digital pedals, the odds are there will be no noise introduced. If you ARE going to use digital pedals, you will want a power supply with isolated outputs, something that neither of the power supplies that you listed have. I used a one-spot style adaptor on my main board for years, and I still use it for my (much smaller) church board with no ill effects. The only problem I ever ran into was when I tried wiring up my Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai and my Planet Waves tuner with a single non-isolated power supply, and I would get weird digital noise. With the effects you listed, it shouldn't be a problem.