Just bought a 2007 Fender MIM Jazz bass for $100 in like new condition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dardas92, Aug 20, 2020.

1. I just bought a Fender MIM jazz bass on facebook marketplace for $100. I already have 4 basses but I couldn't pass up on this deal, especially since I am left handed and its hard to find lefties.

I have spare American jazz pickups I took out of my other MIA Fender jazz I replaced with seymour duncans. I know the MIM uses 2 neck pickups instead of a bridge, so I wouldnt be able to replace both, but I could replace the neck pickup.

Would you recommend replacing the neck pickup or only replacement both together?

(I know this is also a pickup question but wasn't sure what forum category it should go)

tindrum, P A U L, Eli_Kyiv and 9 others like this.
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats on your new acquisition!
    As the owner of MIAs, MIJs/CIJs and MIMs, I'd recommend replacing nothing until you've spent a few weeks/months with the instrument as-is. One of my favorite basses is a 2000 MIM Standard Jazz that has undergone several modifications over the years, but interestingly enough, two decades later, the pickups remain OEM stock.

3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Killer deal! I hafta say, I’m a little jealous- I recently spent a little over a hundred for just a body!

but- are you sure they’re the same size? I thought they phased out the “2 neck pickup” thing in 2000-2001

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Pix?

P A U L, Dardas92, Bassdirty and 8 others like this.
  5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have an Ice Blue metallic one from 2002. Great bass.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Might as well put some money down on the Power Ball, while you're at it.

Shaggai, Dardas92, leonche64 and 5 others like this.
  7. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Pics make us feel warm and fuzzy...

P A U L, Dardas92, HardNHeavy and 2 others like this.
  8. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I think replace both picups. It will do it better.

9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    In my limited experience with MIM Jazz's that had the 2 neck pickup thing (I have personally owned 3 of them), I would check and see how much material would need to be removed to get a normal sized bridge pickup in there. In all of mine, the sanding was minimal and I was able to use any modern neck/bridge setup I wanted. I would at least eyeball it a bit. If there is just not room and you don't want to take that on, completely understand.

bcbckr and TN WOODMAN like this.
  10. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

I always say that the BIGGEST difference between MIM and MIA is CONSISTENCY! MIA is, for the most part, a known quantity. With MIM, you can get an awful instrument (rare), a meh instrument (more common), or an exceptional instrument! (rare, but not as rare as you may think...).

To the OP, Enjoy the instrument for a while. If anything is missing, then correct THAT, and don't mess with anything else...

ENJOY!!!

11. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO

Here's theold thread where it was discussed

Fender's final word on different pickups in MIM Jazz?

I had a 99 fretless that had the "2 neck pickups" route, ended up just dremel-ing out the extra 1/8" or so on each end and "painting" with sharpie, as it was a black body anyway. Should have kept that bass.

12. A 2007 should have the correct sized pickups

13. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Great Deal! Sorry, I have no information regarding your question about pickups.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wow, amazing deal. You must be living right!

Personally I'd grab a set of Fralins, he makes wonderful J pickups and you can specify same width or neck and bridge width.

15. I picked up a MIM Jazz Bass in 2006 because I was gigging a lot and wanted something that was replaceable.

The first thing I replaced was the bridge. This, because the first time I took it out one of the saddle screws slipped so bad after 5 songs the string completely fretted out.

Next to go was the cheap plastic nut, which actually broke during a gig and left a string flopping if I didn’t finger it gently enough.

As far as the pickups go, they were not bad at all. Sound check was always easy and often brought compliments from the FOH guys. It’s a good sounding instrument.

I also replaced the pick guard for looks sake, and this bass became one of my favorites. It’s actually a nicer instrument than some costing more than twice as much.

Dardas92 likes this.
  16. I'm amazed you could start a new thread, OP. I'd be too busy still doing cartwheels after that deal. Congrats on your new instrument! (also pics or it didn't happen)

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't mod until you know you need to mod it.

I've played the same jazz bass for 35 years. The original owner replaced just the neck pup - sounds great.

Dardas92, PWRL and Jason Stock like this.
  18. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    That’s what I thought, if it’s a 2007 OP should be good then

Dardas92 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Both. A matched set will sound better, especially as you roll on or roll off one pickup or the other in your preference of blend. In the meantime, until you get another SD to match the neck pickup you already have, put the one you have in the neck position for a rounder tone, and adjust the current bridge pickup a little closer to the strings. And if you are sure you won't use the longer bridge pickup you already have, it should sell quickly in the classifieds.

Yes, you could dremel out the bridge rout for the traditional length bridge pickup, but: 1) you have to be precise, since it is such a small amount, and 2) not only the length, but you have to dremel the mounting routs as well, and plug and re-drill the mounting screw pilot holes, because the neck pickup is 1 1/2 inches on the mounting screws, and the bridge pickup is 1 9/16. Dimension diagrams attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  20. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Nice score! I have a 2001 MIM J and it’s a great bass.

Dardas92 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021