Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought a 5 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vincentpghpa, Mar 27, 2005.

1. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    And really have no idea where to start! I didn't really learn how to play my 4 string yet!

Please any advice would be great. Can I still use my korg tuner on it? I play it a lot but just can't get better it seems.

2. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    GEE...

Anyone else?

Any links anyone knows about regarding 5 strings? Or books that I can get or maybe videos?

3. You can rest your thumb on the B string, you might find it easier to play than when your thumb is on the pup,less confusing(it also helps muting the string when playing on others, unless you like that "La Guardia Airport" Ambiance:D ).
    Play something you know but on a position you have to use the low B.
    After several minutes/hours and finally days you'll be perfectly accustomed to the 5th string.
    The korg tuner should work, try it, there are no reasons it wouldn't work.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Play scales, lots and lots of scales. And modes. In every key.
    Forget tab exisists, PERIOD. If you want to learn a song, do it the hard way- use your ears.
    %'s are no different than 4's- they jsut have one more string. If you are no good on a 4, you ain't gonna be any better on a 5.
    Play play play play play play.

5. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    [​IMG]

It's a samick silvertone and with pedal and case only 150.

6. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    you should be able to use a standard tuner with it
    like DNA said you just gotta play the thing. you can pretend like the low B string doesnt exist and play it like a 4 string,
    or you can wail away on the B
    either way if you play it enough you will learn to put all 5 strings together
    good luck man :bassist:

7. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Any exercises I can do for a 5 string to get better, more flexable? Any scales or chords I need to know?

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You 've already been told to just study and play. The B string is tuned in the same interval (fourths) as the rest of the bass. Scales, modes, arpeggios works the same, the only difference is that you often can stay in one position when playing two octave scales and modes. Don't make this harder than it is. :cool:

9. you might one to consider getting a teacher, or atleast an instructional video

10. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Dr cheese, I am trying to not make it too hard but seriously I don't know what arpeggios and modes are.
    I am a newbie. I want to get a teacher but all the ones around here only know guitar and do bass for a little extra cash.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    1st the tuner thing... you may actually have a problem with the B string. On some tuners they don't register all that well cuz they're too deep. If that happens play the harmonic on the 12th fret and tune from that. If you don't know what the harmonic is, count up to the 12th fret and then put your finger on the string directly over where the fret is, put a little pressure on (don't push down on the string) and play the note. Mess around until you find the right spot and pressure and you get that ringing harmonic sound. It's easier to tune from that than an open B string.

There are lots of books and videos on beginning bass. Shop around until you find one that has what you're looking for in it, or hook up with one of those guitar guys and tell them you want to learn some basic scales and stuff. If you ask clear specific questions here you'll probably get some good guidance also.

12. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    IMO
    If you are a beginner player you better practise your hand's technique and strength first and later when your play will flow smoothly you can disturb your mind with theoretical stuff like arpeggios modes and scales...

good luck :bassist:

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd have to heartily disagree- playing in scales and modes and the like is what your hands will be doing a good portion of the time, and it is highly beneficial to learnt eh muscle movements when building strength and endurance. By practicing theory instead of just nonsense, you are both strengthening the body and mind at teh same time, while tying the two togather. Another good way to learn is to forget tabs exists and spend the time training your ear by learning songs with basslines you like- just piece them out. I've learned everything from the Simpsons theme, to Beethoven's Fur Elise, to Metallica's Orion. Diversity is highly beneficial in teaching your ear and mind.

14. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Of course you right DNA.
    But learning mods and positions can't be the first thing you learn...
    It's hard to teach someone who plays guitar for the first time how to play major scale in one piece (i'm not talking about all the mods).
    So i thinks it's best to first play easy songs patterns which will help to achieve strength and initial "fill" to the bass guitar
    (as well as a bit of rhythmic sence).
    Than a bit later he can easily start learning all the sclaes arp' ETC.

(I didn't mean he should be stuck on those easy songs pattern for more than a month or two.)

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Let me ask, why did you get a five string if you haven't figured out the four? No lessons and two basses?

Get a teacher, even a guitar teacher could help you at this point to show you the basics getting around the instrument, show you some theory, some technique, then work on building up hand strength and muscle memory.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Play it like a 4-string until you get some patterns down, then move up five frets and enjoy the closer fret spacing.

17. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    I got it because someone wanted to buy my 4 and I ran into a good deal on this 5. Plus it actually lit a fire and now I want to learn.

Although the guy flaked on buying my 4!

18. Excellent advice, Joe. I use this technique also. :cool:

Oh, as far as playing a 5 string- (I hate to over simplify this but it must be done)

Just play bass with it.

19. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Update from me:

I havent posted in a while because of work and child and wife and underway time and travel but in between I have been practicing. I have been able to put in a goot 2 or 3 solid hours a week but I gotta admit while I know songs I have absolutely no idea how to read music, How to do scales, Chords, arpeggios, hammer ons, nothing about theory,

I can read some bitchen tab though. but can't play a song by ear to save my life. I been posting in a few other places on the site and still have a lot of the same question.

Good Exercises?
    5 string songs?
    Pull offs?
    Newbies questions but I bet even a guitar teacher could help me at this point. after a year I just know songs but no idea how to improvise and be quick without sounding like another player that everyone has heard of.